- Then Jonah prayed unto Jehovah his God out of the fish’s belly.
- And he said, I called by reason of mine affliction unto Jehovah, And he answered me;
Out of the belly of Sheol cried I, [And] thou heardest my voice.
- For thou didst cast me into the depth, in the heart of the seas, And the flood was round about me;
All thy waves and thy billows passed over me.
- And I said, I am cast out from before thine eyes;
Yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.
- The waters compassed me about, even to the soul;
The deep was round about me;
The weeds were wrapped about my head.
- I went down to the bottoms of the mountains;
The earth with its bars [closed] upon me for ever: Yet hast thou brought up my life from the pit, O Jehovah my God.
- When my soul fainted within me, I remembered Jehovah;
And my prayer came in unto thee, into thy holy temple.
- They that regard lying vanities Forsake their own mercy.
- But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving;
I will pay that which I have vowed.
Salvation is of Jehovah.
- And Jehovah spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.