- And the word of Jehovah came unto Jonah the second time, saying,
- Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee.
- So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of Jehovah.
Now Nineveh was an exceeding great city, of three days’ journey.
- And Jonah began to enter into the city a day’s journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.
- And the people of Nineveh believed God;
and they proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.
- And the tidings reached the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.
- And he made proclamation and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste anything;
let them not feed, nor drink water;
- but let them be covered with sackcloth, both man and beast, and let them cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in his hands.
- Who knoweth whether God will not turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?
- And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way;
and God repented of the evil which he said he would do unto them;
and he did it not.