- I am the man that hath seen affliction by the rod of his wrath.
- He hath led me and caused me to walk in darkness, and not in light.
- Surely against me he turneth his hand again and again all the day.
- My flesh and my skin hath he made old;
he hath broken my bones.
- He hath builded against me, and compassed me with gall and travail.
- He hath made me to dwell in dark places, as those that have been long dead.
- He hath walled me about, that I cannot go forth;
he hath made my chain heavy.
- Yea, when I cry, and call for help, he shutteth out my prayer.
- He hath walled up my ways with hewn stone;
he hath made my paths crooked.
- He is unto me as a bear lying in wait, as a lion in secret places.
- He hath turned aside my ways, and pulled me in pieces;
he hath made me desolate.
- He hath bent his bow, and set me as a mark for the arrow.
- He hath caused the shafts of his quiver to enter into my reins.
- I am become a derision to all my people, and their song all the day.
- He hath filled me with bitterness, he hath sated me with wormwood.
- He hath also broken my teeth with gravel stones;
he hath covered me with ashes.
- And thou hast removed my soul far off from peace;
I forgat prosperity.
- And I said, My strength is perished, and mine expectation from Jehovah.
- Remember mine affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall.
- My soul hath them still in remembrance, and is bowed down within me.
- This I recall to my mind;
therefore have I hope.
- [It is of] Jehovah’s lovingkindnesses that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
- They are new every morning;
great is thy faithfulness.
- Jehovah is my portion, saith my soul;
therefore will I hope in him.
- Jehovah is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.
- It is good that a man should hope and quietly wait for the salvation of Jehovah.
- It is good for a man that he bear the yoke in his youth.
- Let him sit alone and keep silence, because he hath laid it upon him.
- Let him put his mouth in the dust, if so be there may be hope.
- Let him give his cheek to him that smiteth him;
let him be filled full with reproach.
- For the Lord will not cast off for ever.
- For though he cause grief, yet will he have compassion according to the multitude of his lovingkindnesses.
- For he doth not afflict willingly, nor grieve the children of men.
- To crush under foot all the prisoners of the earth,
- To turn aside the right of a man before the face of the Most High,
- To subvert a man in his cause, the Lord approveth not.
- Who is he that saith, and it cometh to pass, when the Lord commandeth it not?
- Out of the mouth of the Most High cometh there not evil and good?
- Wherefore doth a living man complain, a man for the punishment of his sins?
- Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to Jehovah.
- Let us lift up our heart with our hands unto God in the heavens.
- We have transgressed and have rebelled;
thou hast not pardoned.
- Thou hast covered with anger and pursued us;
thou hast slain, thou hast not pitied.
- Thou hast covered thyself with a cloud, so that no prayer can pass through.
- Thou hast made us an off-scouring and refuse in the midst of the peoples.
- All our enemies have opened their mouth wide against us.
- Fear and the pit are come upon us, devastation and destruction.
- Mine eye runneth down with streams of water, for the destruction of the daughter of my people.
- Mine eye poureth down, and ceaseth not, without any intermission,
- Till Jehovah look down, and behold from heaven.
- Mine eye affecteth my soul, because of all the daughters of my city.
- They have chased me sore like a bird, they that are mine enemies without cause.
- They have cut off my life in the dungeon, and have cast a stone upon me.
- Waters flowed over my head;
I said, I am cut off.
- I called upon thy name, O Jehovah, out of the lowest dungeon.
- Thou heardest my voice;
hide not thine ear at my breathing, at my cry.
- Thou drewest near in the day that I called upon thee;
thou saidst, Fear not.
- O Lord, thou hast pleaded the causes of my soul;
thou hast redeemed my life.
- O Jehovah, thou hast seen my wrong;
judge thou my cause.
- Thou hast seen all their vengeance and all their devices against me.
- Thou hast heard their reproach, O Jehovah, and all their devices against me,
- The lips of those that rose up against me, and their device against me all the day.
- Behold thou their sitting down, and their rising up;
I am their song.
- Thou wilt render unto them a recompense, O Jehovah, according to the work of their hands.
- Thou wilt give them hardness of heart, thy curse unto them.
- Thou wilt pursue them in anger, and destroy them from under the heavens of Jehovah.