- How is the gold become dim!
[how] is the most pure gold changed!
The stones of the sanctuary are poured out at the head of every street.
- The precious sons of Zion, comparable to fine gold, How are they esteemed as earthen pitchers, the work of the hands of the potter!
- Even the jackals draw out the breast, they give suck to their young ones: The daughter of my people is become cruel, like the ostriches in the wilderness.
- The tongue of the sucking child cleaveth to the roof of his mouth for thirst: The young children ask bread, and no man breaketh it unto them.
- They that did feed delicately are desolate in the streets: They that were brought up in scarlet embrace dunghills.
- For the iniquity of the daughter of my people is greater than the sin of Sodom, That was overthrown as in a moment, and no hands were laid upon her.
- Her nobles were purer than snow, they were whiter than milk;
They were more ruddy in body than rubies, their polishing was as of sapphire.
- Their visage is blacker than a coal;
they are not known in the streets: Their skin cleaveth to their bones;
it is withered, it is become like a stick.
- They that are slain with the sword are better than they that are slain with hunger;
For these pine away, stricken through, for want of the fruits of the field.
- The hands of the pitiful women have boiled their own children;
They were their food in the destruction of the daughter of my people.
- Jehovah hath accomplished his wrath, he hath poured out his fierce anger;
And he hath kindled a fire in Zion, which hath devoured the foundations thereof.
- The kings of the earth believed not, neither all the inhabitants of the world, That the adversary and the enemy would enter into the gates of Jerusalem.
- [It is] because of the sins of her prophets, [and] the iniquities of her priests, That have shed the blood of the just in the midst of her.
- They wander as blind men in the streets, they are polluted with blood, So that men cannot touch their garments.
- Depart ye, they cried unto them, Unclean!
depart, depart, touch not!
When they fled away and wandered, men said among the nations, They shall no more sojourn [here].
- The anger of Jehovah hath scattered them;
he will no more regard them: They respected not the persons of the priests, they favored not the elders.
- Our eyes do yet fail [in looking] for our vain help: In our watching we have watched for a nation that could not save.
- They hunt our steps, so that we cannot go in our streets: Our end is near, our days are fulfilled;
for our end is come.
- Our pursuers were swifter than the eagles of the heavens: They chased us upon the mountains, they laid wait for us in the wilderness.
- The breath of our nostrils, the anointed of Jehovah, was taken in their pits;
Of whom we said, Under his shadow we shall live among the nations.
- Rejoice and be glad, O daughter of Edom, that dwellest in the land of Uz: The cup shall pass through unto thee also;
thou shalt be drunken, and shalt make thyself naked.
- The punishment of thine iniquity is accomplished, O daughter of Zion;
he will no more carry thee away into captivity: He will visit thine iniquity, O daughter of Edom;
he will uncover thy sins.