- The burden of the word of Jehovah to Israel by Malachi.
- I have loved you, saith Jehovah.
Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us?
Was not Esau Jacob’s brother, saith Jehovah: yet I loved Jacob;
- but Esau I hated, and made his mountains a desolation, and [gave] his heritage to the jackals of the wilderness.
- Whereas Edom saith, We are beaten down, but we will return and build the waste places;
thus saith Jehovah of hosts, They shall build, but I will throw down;
and men shall call them The border of wickedness, and The people against whom Jehovah hath indignation for ever.
- And your eyes shall see, and ye shall say, Jehovah be magnified beyond the border of Israel.
- A son honoreth his father, and a servant his master: if then I am a father, where is mine honor?
and if I am a master, where is my fear?
saith Jehovah of hosts unto you, O priests, that despise my name.
And ye say, Wherein have we despised thy name?
- Ye offer polluted bread upon mine altar.
And ye say, Wherein have we polluted thee?
In that ye say, The table of Jehovah is contemptible.
- And when ye offer the blind for sacrifice, it is no evil!
and when ye offer the lame and sick, it is no evil!
Present it now unto thy governor;
will he be pleased with thee?
or will he accept thy person?
saith Jehovah of hosts.
- And now, I pray you, entreat the favor of God, that he may be gracious unto us: this hath been by your means: will he accept any of your persons?
saith Jehovah of hosts.
- Oh that there were one among you that would shut the doors, that ye might not kindle [fire on] mine altar in vain!
I have no pleasure in you, saith Jehovah of hosts, neither will I accept an offering at your hand.
- For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name [shall be] great among the Gentiles;
and in every place incense [shall be] offered unto my name, and a pure offering: for my name [shall be] great among the Gentiles, saith Jehovah of hosts.
- But ye profane it, in that ye say, The table of Jehovah is polluted, and the fruit thereof, even its food, is contemptible.
- Ye say also, Behold, what a weariness is it!
and ye have snuffed at it, saith Jehovah of hosts;
and ye have brought that which was taken by violence, and the lame, and the sick;
thus ye bring the offering: should I accept this at your hand?
- But cursed be the deceiver, who hath in his flock a male, and voweth, and sacrificeth unto the Lord a blemished thing;
for I am a great King, saith Jehovah of hosts, and my name is terrible among the Gentiles.