- The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
- Even as it is written in Isaiah the prophet, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, Who shall prepare thy way.
- The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make ye ready the way of the Lord, Make his paths straight;
- John came, who baptized in the wilderness and preached the baptism of repentance unto remission of sins.
- And there went out unto him all the country of Judaea, and all they of Jerusalem;
And they were baptized of him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins.
- And John was clothed with camel’s hair, and [had] a leathern girdle about his loins, and did eat locusts and wild honey.
- And he preached, saying, There cometh after me he that is mightier than I, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose.
- I baptized you in water;
But he shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit.
- And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized of John in the Jordan.
- And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens rent asunder, and the Spirit as a dove descending upon him:
- And a voice came out of the heavens, Thou art my beloved Son, in thee I am well pleased.
- And straightway the Spirit driveth him forth into the wilderness.
- And he was in the wilderness forty days tempted of Satan;
And he was with the wild beasts;
And the angels ministered unto him.
- Now after John was delivered up, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God,
- and saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe in the gospel.
- And passing along by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew the brother of Simon casting a net in the sea;
for they were fishers.
- And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men.
- And straightway they left the nets, and followed him.
- And going on a little further, he saw James the [son] of Zebedee, and John his brother, who also were in the boat mending the nets.
- And straightway he called them: and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired servants, and went after him.
- And they go into Capernaum;
and straightway on the sabbath day he entered into the synagogue and taught.
- And they were astonished at his teaching: For he taught them as having authority, and not as the scribes.
- And straightway there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit;
and he cried out,
- saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus thou Nazarene?
art thou come to destroy us?
I know thee who thou art, the Holy One of God.
- And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him.
- And the unclean spirit, tearing him and crying with a loud voice, came out of him.
- And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What is this?
a new teaching!
with authority he commandeth even the unclean spirits, and they obey him.
- And the report of him went out straightway everywhere into all the region of Galilee round about.
- And straightway, when they were come out of the synagogue, they came into the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John.
- Now Simon’s wife’s mother lay sick of a fever;
and straightway they tell him of her:
- and he came and took her by the hand, and raised her up;
and the fever left her, and she ministered unto them.
- And at even, when the sun did set, they brought unto him all that were sick, and them that were possessed with demons.
- And all the city was gathered together at the door.
- And he healed many that were sick with divers diseases, and cast out many demons;
and he suffered not the demons to speak, because they knew him.
- And in the morning, a great while before day, he rose up and went out, and departed into a desert place, and there prayed.
- And Simon and they that were with him followed after him;
- and they found him, and say unto him, All are seeking thee.
- And he saith unto them, Let us go elsewhere into the next towns, that I may preach there also;
for to this end came I forth.
- And he went into their synagogues throughout all Galilee, preaching and casting out demons.
- And there cometh to him a leper, beseeching him, and kneeling down to him, and saying unto him, If thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.
- And being moved with compassion, he stretched forth his hand, and touched him, and saith unto him, I will;
be thou made clean.
- And straightway the leprosy departed from him, and he was made clean.
- And he strictly charged him, and straightway sent him out,
- and saith unto him, See thou say nothing to any man: but go show thyself to the priest, and offer for thy cleansing the things which Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.
- But he went out, and began to publish it much, and to spread abroad the matter, insomuch that Jesus could no more openly enter into a city, but was without in desert places: and they came to him from every quarter.