- The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
- Abraham begat Isaac;
and Isaac begat Jacob;
and Jacob begat Judah and his brethren;
- and Judah begat Perez and Zerah of Tamar;
and Perez begat Hezron;
and Hezron begat Ram;
- and Ram begat Amminadab;
and Amminadab begat Nahshon;
and Nahshon begat Salmon;
- and Salmon begat Boaz of Rahab;
and Boaz begat Obed of Ruth;
and Obed begat Jesse;
- and Jesse begat David the king.
And David begat Solomon of her [that had been the wife] of Uriah;
- and Solomon begat Rehoboam;
and Rehoboam begat Abijah;
and Abijah begat Asa;
- and Asa begat Jehoshaphat;
and Jehoshaphat begat Joram;
and Joram begat Uzziah;
- and Uzziah begat Jotham;
and Jotham begat Ahaz;
and Ahaz begat Hezekiah;
- and Hezekiah begat Manasseh;
and Manasseh begat Amon;
and Amon begat Josiah;
- and Josiah begat Jechoniah and his brethren, at the time of the carrying away to Babylon.
- And after the carrying away to Babylon, Jechoniah begat Shealtiel;
and Shealtiel begat Zerubbabel;
- and Zerubbabel begat Abiud;
and Abiud begat Eliakim;
and Eliakim begat Azor;
- and Azor begat Sadoc;
and Sadoc begat Achim;
and Achim begat Eliud;
- and Eliud begat Eleazar;
and Eleazar begat Matthan;
and Matthan begat Jacob;
- and Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
- So all the generations from Abraham unto David are fourteen generations;
and from David unto the carrying away to Babylon fourteen generations;
and from the carrying away to Babylon unto the Christ fourteen generations.
- Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found with child of the Holy Spirit.
- And Joseph her husband, being a righteous man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily.
- But when he thought on these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.
- And she shall bring forth a son;
and thou shalt call his name JESUS;
for it is he that shall save his people from their sins.
- Now all this is come to pass, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying,
- Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, And they shall call his name Immanuel;
which is, being interpreted, God with us.
- And Joseph arose from his sleep, and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him, and took unto him his wife;
- and knew her not till she had brought forth a son: and he called his name JESUS.