- Then there come to Jesus from Jerusalem Pharisees and scribes, saying,
- Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders?
for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.
- And he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition?
- For God said, Honor thy father and thy mother: and, He that speaketh evil of father or mother, let him die the death.
- But ye say, whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, That wherewith thou mightest have been profited by me is given [to God];
- he shall not honor his father.
And ye have made void the word of God because of your tradition.
- Ye hypocrites, well did Isaiah prophesy of you, saying,
- This people honoreth me with their lips;
But their heart is far from me.
- But in vain do they worship me, Teaching [as their] doctrines the precepts of men.
- And he called to him the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand:
- Not that which entereth into the mouth defileth the man;
but that which proceedeth out of the mouth, this defileth the man.
- Then came the disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, when they heard this saying?
- But he answered and said, Every plant which my heavenly Father planted not, shall be rooted up.
- Let them alone: they are blind guides.
And if the blind guide the blind, both shall fall into a pit.
- And Peter answered and said unto him, Declare unto us the parable.
- And he said, Are ye also even yet without understanding?
- Perceive ye not, that whatsoever goeth into the mouth passeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
- But the things which proceed out of the mouth come forth out of the heart;
and they defile the man.
- For out of the heart come forth evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, railings:
- these are the things which defile the man;
but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not the man.
- And Jesus went out thence, and withdrew into the parts of Tyre and Sidon.
- And behold, a Canaanitish woman came out from those borders, and cried, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David;
my daughter is grievously vexed with a demon.
- But he answered her not a word.
And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away;
for she crieth after us.
- But he answered and said, I was not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
- But she came and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.
- And he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children’s bread and cast it to the dogs.
- But she said, Yea, Lord: for even the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.
- Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it done unto thee even as thou wilt.
And her daughter was healed from that hour.
- And Jesus departed thence, and came nigh unto the sea of Galilee;
and he went up into the mountain, and sat there.
- And there came unto him great multitudes, having with them the lame, blind, dumb, maimed, and many others, and they cast them down at this feet;
and he healed them:
- insomuch that the multitude wondered, when they saw the dumb speaking, the maimed whole, and lame walking, and the blind seeing: and they glorified the God of Israel.
- And Jesus called unto him his disciples, and said, I have compassion on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days and have nothing to eat: and I would not send them away fasting, lest haply they faint on the way.
- And the disciples say unto him, Whence should we have so many loaves in a desert place as to fill so great a multitude?
- And Jesus said unto them, How many loaves have ye?
And they said, Seven, and a few small fishes.
- And he commanded the multitude to sit down on the ground;
- and he took the seven loaves and the fishes;
and he gave thanks and brake, and gave to the disciples, and the disciples to the multitudes.
- And they all ate, and were filled: and they took up that which remained over of the broken pieces, seven baskets full.
- And they that did eat were four thousand men, besides women and children.
- And he sent away the multitudes, and entered into the boat, and came into the borders of Magadan.