- He that dasheth in pieces is come up against thee: keep the fortress, watch the way, make thy loins strong, fortify thy power mightily.
- For Jehovah restoreth the excellency of Jacob, as the excellency of Israel;
for the emptiers have emptied them out, and destroyed their vine-branches.
- The shield of his mighty men is made red, the valiant men are in scarlet: the chariots flash with steel in the day of his preparation, and the cypress [spears] are brandished.
- The chariots rage in the streets;
they rush to and fro in the broad ways: the appearance of them is like torches;
they run like the lightnings.
- He remembereth his nobles: they stumble in their march;
they make haste to the wall thereof, and the mantelet is prepared.
- The gates of the rivers are opened, and the palace is dissolved.
- And it is decreed: she is uncovered, she is carried away;
and her handmaids moan as with the voice of doves, beating upon their breasts.
- But Nineveh hath been from of old like a pool of water: yet they flee away.
Stand, stand, [they cry];
but none looketh back.
- Take ye the spoil of silver, take the spoil of gold;
for there is no end of the store, the glory of all goodly furniture.
- She is empty, and void, and waste;
and the heart melteth, and the knees smite together, and anguish is in all loins, and the faces of them all are waxed pale.
- Where is the den of the lions, and the feeding-place of the young lions, where the lion [and] the lioness walked, the lion’s whelp, and none made them afraid?
- The lion did tear in pieces enough for his whelps, and strangled for his lionesses, and filled his caves with prey, and his dens with ravin.
- Behold, I am against thee, saith Jehovah of hosts, and I will burn her chariots in the smoke, and the sword shall devour thy young lions;
and I will cut off thy prey from the earth, and the voice of thy messengers shall no more be heard.