- Now it came to pass, when it was reported to Sanballat and Tobiah, and to Geshem the Arabian, and unto the rest of our enemies, that I had builded the wall, and that there was no breach left therein;
(though even unto that time I had not set up the doors in the gates;)
- that Sanballat and Geshem sent unto me, saying, Come, let us meet together in [one of] the villages in the plain of Ono.
But they thought to do me mischief.
- And I sent messengers unto them, saying, I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down: why should the work cease, whilst I leave it, and come down to you?
- And they sent unto me four times after this sort;
and I answered them after the same manner.
- Then sent Sanballat his servant unto me in like manner the fifth time with an open letter in his hand,
- wherein was written, It is reported among the nations, and Gashmu saith it, that thou and the Jews think to rebel;
for which cause thou art building the wall: and thou wouldest be their king, according to these words.
- And thou hast also appointed prophets to preach of thee at Jerusalem, saying, There is a king in Judah: and now shall it be reported to the king according to these words.
Come now therefore, and let us take counsel together.
- Then I sent unto him, saying, There are no such things done as thou sayest, but thou feignest them out of thine own heart.
- For they all would have made us afraid, saying, Their hands shall be weakened from the work, that it be not done.
But now, [O God], strengthen thou my hands.
- And I went unto the house of Shemaiah the son of Delaiah the son of Mehetabel, who was shut up;
and he said, Let us meet together in the house of God, within the temple, and let us shut the doors of the temple: for they will come to slay thee;
yea, in the night will they come to slay thee.
- And I said, Should such a man as I flee?
and who is there, that, being such as I, would go into the temple to save his life?
I will not go in.
- And I discerned, and, lo, God had not sent him;
but he pronounced this prophecy against me: and Tobiah and Sanballat had hired him.
- For this cause was he hired, that I should be afraid, and do so, and sin, and that they might have matter for an evil report, that they might reproach me.
- Remember, O my God, Tobiah and Sanballat according to these their works, and also the prophetess Noadiah, and the rest of the prophets, that would have put me in fear.
- So the wall was finished in the twenty and fifth [day] of [the month] Elul, in fifty and two days.
- And it came to pass, when all our enemies heard [thereof], that all the nations that were about us feared, and were much cast down in their own eyes;
for they perceived that this work was wrought of our God.
- Moreover in those days the nobles of Judah sent many letters unto Tobiah, and [the letters] of Tobiah came unto them.
- For there were many in Judah sworn unto him, because he was the son-in-law of Shecaniah the son of Arah;
and his son Jehohanan had taken the daughter of Meshullam the son of Berechiah to wife.
- Also they spake of his good deeds before me, and reported my words to him.
[And] Tobiah sent letters to put me in fear.