- A wise son [heareth] his father’s instruction;
But a scoffer heareth not rebuke.
- A man shall eat good by the fruit of his mouth;
But the soul of the treacherous [shall eat] violence.
- He that guardeth his mouth keepeth his life;
[But] he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction.
- The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing;
But the soul of the diligent shall be made fat.
- A righteous man hateth lying;
But a wicked man is loathsome, and cometh to shame.
- Righteousness guardeth him that is upright in the way;
But wickedness overthroweth the sinner.
- There is that maketh himself rich, yet hath nothing: There is that maketh himself poor, yet hath great wealth.
- The ransom of a man’s life is his riches;
But the poor heareth no threatening.
- The light of the righteous rejoiceth;
But the lamp of the wicked shall be put out.
- By pride cometh only contention;
But with the well-advised is wisdom.
- Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished;
But he that gathereth by labor shall have increase.
- Hope deferred maketh the heart sick;
But when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life.
- Whoso despiseth the word bringeth destruction on himself;
But he that feareth the commandment shall be rewarded.
- The law of the wise is a fountain of life, That one may depart from the snares of death.
- Good understanding giveth favor;
But the way of the transgressor is hard.
- Every prudent man worketh with knowledge;
But a fool flaunteth [his] folly.
- A wicked messenger falleth into evil;
But a faithful ambassador is health.
- Poverty and shame [shall be to] him that refuseth correction;
But he that regardeth reproof shall be honored.
- The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul;
But it is an abomination to fools to depart from evil.
- Walk with wise men, and thou shalt be wise;
But the companion of fools shall smart for it.
- Evil pursueth sinners;
But the righteous shall be recompensed with good.
- A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children’s children;
And the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the righteous.
- Much food [is in] the tillage of the poor;
But there is that is destroyed by reason of injustice.
- He that spareth his rod hateth his son;
But he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
- The righteous eateth to the satisfying of his soul;
But the belly of the wicked shall want.