- He that separateth himself seeketh [his own] desire, And rageth against all sound wisdom.
- A fool hath no delight in understanding, But only that his heart may reveal itself.
- When the wicked cometh, there cometh also contempt, And with ignominy [cometh] reproach.
- The words of a man’s mouth are [as] deep waters;
The wellspring of wisdom is [as] a flowing brook.
- To respect the person of the wicked is not good, [Nor] to turn aside the righteous in judgment.
- A fool’s lips enter into contention, And his mouth calleth for stripes.
- A fool’s mouth is his destruction, And his lips are the snare of his soul.
- The words of a whisperer are as dainty morsels, And they go down into the innermost parts.
- He also that is slack in his work Is brother to him that is a destroyer.
- The name of Jehovah is a strong tower;
The righteous runneth into it, and is safe.
- The rich man’s wealth is his strong city, And as a high wall in his own imagination.
- Before destruction the heart of man is haughty;
And before honor [goeth] humility.
- He that giveth answer before he heareth, It is folly and shame unto him.
- The spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity;
But a broken spirit who can bear?
- The heart of the prudent getteth knowledge;
And the ear of the wise seeketh knowledge.
- A man’s gift maketh room for him, And bringeth him before great men.
- He that pleadeth his cause first [seemeth] just;
But his neighbor cometh and searcheth him out.
- The lot causeth contentions to cease, And parteth between the mighty.
- A brother offended [is harder to be won] than a strong city;
And [such] contentions are like the bars of a castle.
- A man’s belly shall be filled with the fruit of his mouth;
With the increase of his lips shall he be satisfied.
- Death and life are in the power of the tongue;
And they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.
- Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, And obtaineth favor of Jehovah.
- The poor useth entreaties;
But the rich answereth roughly.
- He that maketh many friends [doeth it] to his own destruction;
But there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.