- Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler;
And whosoever erreth thereby is not wise.
- The terror of a king is as the roaring of a lion: He that provoketh him to anger sinneth [against] his own life.
- It is an honor for a man to keep aloof from strife;
But every fool will be quarrelling.
- The sluggard will not plow by reason of the winter;
Therefore he shall beg in harvest, and have nothing.
- Counsel in the heart of man is [like] deep water;
But a man of understanding will draw it out.
- Most men will proclaim every one his own kindness;
But a faithful man who can find?
- A righteous man that walketh in his integrity, Blessed are his children after him.
- A king that sitteth on the throne of judgment Scattereth away all evil with his eyes.
- Who can say, I have made my heart clean, I am pure from my sin?
- Diverse weights, and diverse measures, Both of them alike are an abomination to Jehovah.
- Even a child maketh himself known by his doings, Whether his work be pure, and whether it be right.
- The hearing ear, and the seeing eye, Jehovah hath made even both of them.
- Love not sleep, let thou come to poverty;
Open thine eyes, [and] thou shalt be satisfied with bread.
- It is bad, it is bad, saith the buyer;
But when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
- There is gold, and abundance of rubies;
But the lips of knowledge are a precious jewel.
- Take his garment that is surety for a stranger;
And hold him in pledge [that is surety] for foreigners.
- Bread of falsehood is sweet to a man;
But afterwards his mouth shall be filled with gravel.
- Every purpose is established by counsel;
And by wise guidance make thou war.
- He that goeth about as a tale-bearer revealeth secrets;
Therefore company not with him that openeth wide his lips.
- Whoso curseth his father or his mother, His lamp shall be put out in blackness of darkness.
- An inheritance [may be] gotten hastily at the beginning;
But the end thereof shall not be blessed.
- Say not thou, I will recompense evil: Wait for Jehovah, and he will save thee.
- Diverse weights are an abomination to Jehovah;
And a false balance is not good.
- A man’s goings are of Jehovah;
How then can man understand his way?
- It is a snare to a man rashly to say, [It is] holy, And after vows to make inquiry.
- A wise king winnoweth the wicked, And bringeth the [threshing]-wheel over them.
- The spirit of man is the lamp of Jehovah, Searching all his innermost parts.
- Kindness and truth preserve the king;
And his throne is upholden by kindness.
- The glory of young men is their strength;
And the beauty of old men is the hoary head.
- Stripes that wound cleanse away evil;
And strokes [reach] the innermost parts.