- My son, keep my words, And lay up my commandments with thee.
- Keep my commandments and live;
And my law as the apple of thine eye.
- Bind them upon thy fingers;
Write them upon the tablet of thy heart.
- Say unto wisdom, Thou art my sister;
And call understanding [thy] kinswoman:
- That they may keep thee from the strange woman, From the foreigner that flattereth with her words.
- For at the window of my house I looked forth through my lattice;
- And I beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, A young man void of understanding,
- Passing through the street near her corner;
And he went the way to her house,
- In the twilight, in the evening of the day, In the middle of the night and in the darkness.
- And, behold, there met him a woman With the attire of a harlot, and wily of heart.
- She is clamorous and wilful;
Her feet abide not in her house:
- Now she is in the streets, now in the broad places, And lieth in wait at every corner.
- So she caught him, and kissed him, [And] with an impudent face she said unto him:
- Sacrifices of peace-offerings are with me;
This day have I paid my vows.
- Therefore came I forth to meet thee, Diligently to seek thy face, and I have found thee.
- I have spread my couch with carpets of tapestry, With striped cloths of the yarn of Egypt.
- I have perfumed my bed With myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.
- Come, let us take our fill of love until the morning;
Let us solace ourselves with loves.
- For the man is not at home;
He is gone a long journey:
- He hath taken a bag of money with him;
He will come home at the full moon.
- With her much fair speech she causeth him to yield;
With the flattering of her lips she forceth him along.
- He goeth after her straightway, As an ox goeth to the slaughter, Or as [one in] fetters to the correction of the fool;
- Till an arrow strike through his liver;
As a bird hasteth to the snare, And knoweth not that it is for his life.
- Now therefore, [my] sons, hearken unto me, And attend to the words of my mouth.
- Let not thy heart decline to her ways;
Go not astray in her paths.
- For she hath cast down many wounded: Yea, all her slain are a mighty host.
- Her house is the way to Sheol, Going down to the chambers of death.