- Wisdom hath builded her house;
She hath hewn out her seven pillars:
- She hath killed her beasts;
She hath mingled her wine;
She hath also furnished her table:
- She hath sent forth her maidens;
She crieth upon the highest places of the city:
- Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: As for him that is void of understanding, she saith to him,
- Come, eat ye of my bread, And drink of the wine which I have mingled.
- Leave off, ye simple ones, and live;
And walk in the way of understanding.
- He that correcteth a scoffer getteth to himself reviling;
And he that reproveth a wicked man [getteth] himself a blot.
- Reprove not a scoffer, lest he hate thee: Reprove a wise man, and he will love thee.
- Give [instruction] to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: Teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning.
- The fear of Jehovah is the beginning of wisdom;
And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
- For by me thy days shall be multiplied, And the years of thy life shall be increased.
- If thou art wise, thou art wise for thyself;
And if thou scoffest, thou alone shalt bear it.
- The foolish woman is clamorous;
[She is] simple, and knoweth nothing.
- And she sitteth at the door of her house, On a seat in the high places of the city,
- To call to them that pass by, Who go right on their ways:
- Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither;
And as for him that is void of understanding, she saith to him,
- Stolen waters are sweet, And bread [eaten] in secret is pleasant.
- But he knoweth not that the dead are there;
That her guests are in the depths of Sheol.