- Why standest thou afar off, O Jehovah?
Why hidest thou thyself in times of trouble?
- In the pride of the wicked the poor is hotly pursued;
Let them be taken in the devices that they have conceived.
- For the wicked boasteth of his heart’s desire, And the covetous renounceth, [yea], contemneth Jehovah.
- The wicked, in the pride of his countenance, [saith], He will not require [it].
All his thoughts are, There is no God.
- His ways are firm at all times;
Thy judgments are far above out of his sight: As for all his adversaries, he puffeth at them.
- He saith in his heart, I shall not be moved;
To all generations I shall not be in adversity.
- His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and oppression: Under his tongue is mischief and iniquity.
- He sitteth in the lurking-places of the villages;
In the secret places doth he murder the innocent;
His eyes are privily set against the helpless.
- He lurketh in secret as a lion in his covert;
He lieth in wait to catch the poor: He doth catch the poor, when he draweth him in his net.
- He croucheth, he boweth down, And the helpless fall by his strong ones.
- He saith in his heart, God hath forgotten;
He hideth his face;
he will never see it.
- Arise, O Jehovah;
O God, lift up thy hand: Forget not the poor.
- Wherefore doth the wicked contemn God, And say in his heart, Thou wilt not require [it]?
- Thou hast seen [it];
for thou beholdest mischief and spite, to requite it with thy hand: The helpless committeth [himself] unto thee;
Thou hast been the helper of the fatherless.
- Break thou the arm of the wicked;
And as for the evil man, seek out his wickedness till thou find none.
- Jehovah is King for ever and ever: The nations are perished out of his land.
- Jehovah, thou hast heard the desire of the meek: Thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear;
- To judge the fatherless and the oppressed, That man who is of the earth may be terrible no more.