- A Prayer of the afflicted, when he is overwhelmed, and poureth out his complaint before Jehovah.
- Hear my prayer, O Jehovah, And let my cry come unto thee.
- Hide not thy face from me in the day of my distress: Incline thine ear unto me;
In the day when I call answer me speedily.
- For my days consume away like smoke, And my bones are burned as a firebrand.
- My heart is smitten like grass, and withered;
For I forget to eat my bread.
- By reason of the voice of my groaning My bones cleave to my flesh.
- I am like a pelican of the wilderness;
I am become as an owl of the waste places.
- I watch, and am become like a sparrow That is alone upon the house-top.
- Mine enemies reproach me all the day;
They that are mad against me do curse by me.
- For I have eaten ashes like bread, And mingled my drink with weeping,
- Because of thine indignation and thy wrath: For thou hast taken me up, and cast me away.
- My days are like a shadow that declineth;
And I am withered like grass.
- But thou, O Jehovah, wilt abide for ever;
And thy memorial [name] unto all generations.
- Thou wilt arise, and have mercy upon Zion;
For it is time to have pity upon her, Yea, the set time is come.
- For thy servants take pleasure in her stones, And have pity upon her dust.
- So the nations shall fear the name of Jehovah, And all the kings of the earth thy glory.
- For Jehovah hath built up Zion;
He hath appeared in his glory.
- He hath regarded the prayer of the destitute, And hath not despised their prayer.
- This shall be written for the generation to come;
And a people which shall be created shall praise Jehovah.
- For he hath looked down from the height of his sanctuary;
From heaven did Jehovah behold the earth;
- To hear the sighing of the prisoner;
To loose those that are appointed to death;
- That men may declare the name of Jehovah in Zion, And his praise in Jerusalem;
- When the peoples are gathered together, And the kingdoms, to serve Jehovah.
- He weakened my strength in the way;
He shortened my days.
- I said, O my God, take me not away in the midst of my days: Thy years are throughout all generations.
- Of old didst thou lay the foundation of the earth;
And the heavens are the work of thy hands.
- They shall perish, but thou shalt endure;
Yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment;
As a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed:
- But thou art the same, And thy years shall have no end.
- The children of thy servants shall continue, And their seed shall be established before thee.