- Praise ye Jehovah.
Oh give thanks unto Jehovah;
for he is good;
For his lovingkindness [endureth] forever.
- Who can utter the mighty acts of Jehovah, Or show forth all his praise?
- Blessed are they that keep justice, And he that doeth righteousness at all times.
- Remember me, O Jehovah, with the favor that thou bearest unto thy people;
Oh visit me with thy salvation,
- That I may see the prosperity of thy chosen, That I may rejoice in the gladness of thy nation, That I may glory with thine inheritance.
- We have sinned with our fathers, We have committed iniquity, we have done wickedly.
- Our fathers understood not thy wonders in Egypt;
They remembered not the multitude of thy lovingkindnesses, But were rebellious at the sea, even at the Red Sea.
- Nevertheless he saved them for his name’s sake, That he might make his mighty power to be known.
- He rebuked the Red Sea also, and it was dried up: So he led them through the depths, as through a wilderness.
- And he saved them from the hand of him that hated them, And redeemed them from the hand of the enemy.
- And the waters covered their adversaries;
There was not one of them left.
- Then believed they his words;
They sang his praise.
- They soon forgat his works;
They waited not for his counsel,
- But lusted exceedingly in the wilderness, And tempted God in the desert.
- And he gave them their request, But sent leanness into their soul.
- They envied Moses also in the camp, [And] Aaron the saint of Jehovah.
- The earth opened and swallowed up Dathan, And covered the company of Abiram.
- And a fire was kindled in their company;
The flame burned up the wicked.
- They made a calf in Horeb, And worshipped a molten image.
- Thus they changed their glory For the likeness of an ox that eateth grass.
- They forgat God their Saviour, Who had done great things in Egypt,
- Wondrous works in the land of Ham, [And] terrible things by the Red Sea.
- Therefore he said that he would destroy them, Had not Moses his chosen stood before him in the breach, To turn away his wrath, lest he should destroy [them].
- Yea, they despised the pleasant land, They believed not his word,
- But murmured in their tents, And hearkened not unto the voice of Jehovah.
- Therefore he sware unto them, That he would overthrow them in the wilderness,
- And that he would overthrow their seed among the nations, And scatter them in the lands.
- They joined themselves also unto Baal-peor, And ate the sacrifices of the dead.
- Thus they provoked him to anger with their doings;
And the plague brake in upon them.
- Then stood up Phinehas, and executed judgment;
And so the plague was stayed.
- And that was reckoned unto him for righteousness, Unto all generations for evermore.
- They angered him also at the waters of Meribah, So that it went ill with Moses for their sakes;
- Because they were rebellious against his spirit, And he spake unadvisedly with his lips.
- They did not destroy the peoples, As Jehovah commanded them,
- But mingled themselves with the nations, And learned their works,
- And served their idols, Which became a snare unto them.
- Yea, they sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto demons,
- And shed innocent blood, Even the blood of their sons and of their daughters, Whom they sacrificed unto the idols of Canaan;
And the land was polluted with blood.
- Thus were they defiled with their works, And played the harlot in their doings.
- Therefore was the wrath of Jehovah kindled against his people, And he abhorred his inheritance.
- And he gave them into the hand of the nations;
And they that hated them ruled over them.
- Their enemies also oppressed them, And they were brought into subjection under their hand.
- Many times did he deliver them;
But they were rebellious in their counsel, And were brought low in their iniquity.
- Nevertheless he regarded their distress, When he heard their cry:
- And he remembered for them his covenant, And repented according to the multitude of his lovingkindnesses.
- He made them also to be pitied Of all those that carried them captive.
- Save us, O Jehovah our God, And gather us from among the nations, To give thanks unto thy holy name, And to triumph in thy praise.
- Blessed be Jehovah, the God of Israel, From everlasting even to everlasting.
And let all the people say, Amen.
Praise ye Jehovah.