- For the Chief Musicion.
A Psalm of David.
- Hold not thy peace, O God of my praise;
- For the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of deceit have they opened against me: They have spoken unto me with a lying tongue.
- They have compassed me about also with words of hatred, And fought against me without a cause.
- For my love they are my adversaries: But I [give myself unto] prayer.
- And they have rewarded me evil for good, And hatred for my love.
- Set thou a wicked man over him;
And let an adversary stand at his right hand.
- When he is judged, let him come forth guilty;
And let his prayer be turned into sin.
- Let his days be few;
[And] let another take his office.
- Let his children be fatherless, And his wife a widow.
- Let his children be vagabonds, and beg;
And let them seek [their bread] out of their desolate places.
- Let the extortioner catch all that he hath;
And let strangers make spoil of his labor.
- Let there be none to extend kindness unto him;
Neither let there be any to have pity on his fatherless children.
- Let his posterity be cut off;
In the generation following let their name be blotted out.
- Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered with Jehovah;
And let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.
- Let them be before Jehovah continually, That he may cut off the memory of them from the earth;
- Because he remembered not to show kindness, But persecuted the poor and needy man, And the broken in heart, to slay [them].
- Yea, he loved cursing, and it came unto him;
And he delighted not in blessing, and it was far from him.
- He clothed himself also with cursing as with his garment, And it came into his inward parts like water, And like oil into his bones.
- Let it be unto him as the raiment wherewith he covereth himself, And for the girdle wherewith he is girded continually.
- This is the reward of mine adversaries from Jehovah, And of them that speak evil against my soul.
- But deal thou with me, O Jehovah the Lord, for thy name’s sake: Because thy lovingkindness is good, deliver thou me;
- For I am poor and needy, And my heart is wounded within me.
- I am gone like the shadow when it declineth: I am tossed up and down as the locust.
- My knees are weak through fasting;
And my flesh faileth of fatness.
- I am become also a reproach unto them: When they see me, they shake their head.
- Help me, O Jehovah my God;
Oh save me according to thy lovingkindness:
- That they may know that this is thy hand;
[That] thou, Jehovah, hast done it.
- Let them curse, but bless thou: When they arise, they shall be put to shame, But thy servant shall rejoice.
- Let mine adversaries be clothed with dishonor, And let them cover themselves with their own shame as with a robe.
- I will give great thanks unto Jehovah with my mouth;
Yea, I will praise him among the multitude.
- For he will stand at the right hand of the needy, To save him from them that judge his soul.