- For the Chief Musician.
A Psalm of David.
- O Jehovah, thou hast searched me, and known [me].
- Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising;
Thou understandest my thought afar off.
- Thou searchest out my path and my lying down, And art acquainted with all my ways.
- For there is not a word in my tongue, But, lo, O Jehovah, thou knowest it altogether.
- Thou hast beset me behind and before, And laid thy hand upon me.
- [Such] knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is high, I cannot attain unto it.
- Whither shall I go from thy Spirit?
Or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
- If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, thou art there.
- If I take the wings of the morning, And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
- Even there shall thy hand lead me, And thy right hand shall hold me.
- If I say, Surely the darkness shall overwhelm me, And the light about me shall be night;
- Even the darkness hideth not from thee, But the night shineth as the day: The darkness and the light are both alike [to thee].
- For thou didst form my inward parts: Thou didst cover me in my mother’s womb.
- I will give thanks unto thee;
for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: Wonderful are thy works;
And that my soul knoweth right well.
- My frame was not hidden from thee, When I was made in secret, [And] curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
- Thine eyes did see mine unformed substance;
And in thy book they were all written, [Even] the days that were ordained [for me], When as yet there was none of them.
- How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God!
How great is the sum of them!
- If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: When I awake, I am still with thee.
- Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: Depart from me therefore, ye bloodthirsty men.
- For they speak against thee wickedly, And thine enemies take [thy name] in vain.
- Do not I hate them, O Jehovah, that hate thee?
And am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
- I hate them with perfect hatred: They are become mine enemies.
- Search me, O God, and know my heart: Try me, and know my thoughts;
- And see if there be any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting.