- For the Chief Musician.
A Psalm of David.
- Deliver me, O Jehovah, from the evil man;
Preserve me from the violent man:
- Who devise mischiefs in their heart;
Continually do they gather themselves together for war.
- They have sharpened their tongue like a serpent;
Adders’ poison is under their lips.
- Keep me, O Jehovah, from the hands of the wicked;
Preserve me from the violent man: Who have purposed to thrust aside my steps.
- The proud have hid a snare for me, and cords;
They have spread a net by the wayside;
They have set gins for me.
- I said unto Jehovah, Thou art my God: Give ear unto the voice of my supplications, O Jehovah.
- O Jehovah the Lord, the strength of my salvation, Thou hast covered my head in the day of battle.
- Grant not, O Jehovah, the desires of the wicked;
Further not his evil device, [lest] they exalt themselves.
- As for the head of those that compass me about, Let the mischief of their own lips cover them.
- Let burning coals fall upon them: Let them be cast into the fire, Into deep pits, whence they shall not rise.
- An evil speaker shall not be established in the earth: Evil shall hunt the violent man to overthrow him.
- I know that Jehovah will maintain the cause of the afflicted, And justice for the needy.
- Surely the righteous shall give thanks unto thy name: The upright shall dwell in thy presence.