- For the Chief Musician;
set to Aijaleth hash-Shahar.
A Psalm of David.
- My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
[Why art thou so] far from helping me, [and from] the words of my groaning?
- O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou answerest not;
And in the night season, and am not silent.
- But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
- Our fathers trusted in thee: They trusted, and thou didst deliver them.
- They cried unto thee, and were delivered: They trusted in thee, and were not put to shame.
- But I am a worm, and no man;
A reproach of men, and despised of the people.
- All they that see me laugh me to scorn: They shoot out the lip, they shake the head, [saying],
- Commit [thyself] unto Jehovah;
Let him deliver him: Let him rescue him, seeing he delighteth in him.
- But thou art he that took me out of the womb;
Thou didst make me trust [when I was] upon my mother’s breasts.
- I was cast upon thee from the womb;
Thou art my God since my mother bare me.
- Be not far from me;
for trouble is near;
For there is none to help.
- Many bulls have compassed me;
Strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.
- They gape upon me with their mouth, [As] a ravening and a roaring lion.
- I am poured out like water, And all my bones are out of joint: My heart is like wax;
It is melted within me.
- My strength is dried up like a potsherd;
And my tongue cleaveth to my jaws;
And thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
- For dogs have compassed me: A company of evil-doers have inclosed me;
They pierced my hands and my feet.
- I may count all my bones;
They look and stare upon me.
- They part my garments among them, And upon my vesture do they cast lots.
- But be not thou far off, O Jehovah: O thou my succor, haste thee to help me.
- Deliver my soul from the sword, My darling from the power of the dog.
- Save me from the lion’s mouth;
Yea, from the horns of the wild-oxen thou hast answered me.
- I will declare thy name unto my brethren: In the midst of the assembly will I praise thee.
- Ye that fear Jehovah, praise him;
All ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him;
And stand in awe of him, all ye the seed of Israel.
- For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted;
Neither hath he hid his face from him;
But when he cried unto him, he heard.
- Of thee cometh my praise in the great assembly: I will pay my vows before them that fear him.
- The meek shall eat and be satisfied;
They shall praise Jehovah that seek after him: Let your heart live for ever.
- All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn unto Jehovah;
And all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.
- For the kingdom is Jehovah’s;
And he is the ruler over the nations.
- All the fat ones of the earth shall eat and worship: All they that go down to the dust shall bow before him, Even he that cannot keep his soul alive.
- A seed shall serve him;
It shall be told of the Lord unto the [next] generation.
- They shall come and shall declare his righteousness Unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done it.