- For the Chief Musician.
[A Psalm] of the sons of Korah.
- We have heard with our ears, O God, Our fathers have told us, What work thou didst in their days, In the days of old.
- Thou didst drive out the nations with thy hand;
But them thou didst plant: Thou didst afflict the peoples;
But them thou didst spread abroad.
- For they gat not the land in possession by their own sword, Neither did their own arm save them;
But thy right hand, and thine arm, and the light of thy countenance, Because thou wast favorable unto them.
- Thou art my King, O God: Command deliverance for Jacob.
- Through thee will we push down our adversaries: Through thy name will we tread them under that rise up against us.
- For I will not trust in my bow, Neither shall my sword save me.
- But thou hast saved us from our adversaries, And hast put them to shame that hate us.
- In God have we made our boast all the day long, And we will give thanks unto thy name for ever.
- But now thou hast cast [us] off, and brought us to dishonor, And goest not forth with our hosts.
- Thou makest us to turn back from the adversary;
And they that hate us take spoil for themselves.
- Thou hast made us like sheep [appointed] for food, And hast scattered us among the nations.
- Thou sellest thy people for nought, And hast not increased [thy wealth] by their price.
- Thou makest us a reproach to our neighbors, A scoffing and a derision to them that are round about us.
- Thou makest us a byword among the nations, A shaking of the head among the peoples.
- All the day long is my dishonor before me, And the shame of my face hath covered me,
- For the voice of him that reproacheth and blasphemeth, By reason of the enemy and the avenger.
- All this is come upon us;
Yet have we not forgotten thee, Neither have we dealt falsely in thy covenant.
- Our heart is not turned back, Neither have our steps declined from thy way,
- That thou hast sore broken us in the place of jackals, And covered us with the shadow of death.
- If we have forgotten the name of our God, Or spread forth our hands to a strange god;
- Will not God search this out?
For he knoweth the secrets of the heart.
- Yea, for thy sake are we killed all the day long;
We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
- Awake, why sleepest thou, O Lord?
Arise, cast [us] not off for ever.
- Wherefore hidest thou thy face, And forgettest our affliction and our oppression?
- For our soul is bowed down to the dust: Our body cleaveth unto the earth.
- Rise up for our help, And redeem us for thy lovingkindness’ sake.