- For the Chief Musician.
A Psalm of David;
when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.
- Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: According to the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
- Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, And cleanse me from my sin.
- For I know my transgressions;
And my sin is ever before me.
- Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, And done that which is evil in thy sight;
That thou mayest be justified when thou speakest, And be clear when thou judgest.
- Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity;
And in sin did my mother conceive me.
- Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts;
And in the hidden part thou wilt make me to know wisdom.
- Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
- Make me to hear joy and gladness, That the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
- Hide thy face from my sins, And blot out all mine iniquities.
- Create in me a clean heart, O God;
And renew a right spirit within me.
- Cast me not away from thy presence;
And take not thy holy Spirit from me.
- Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation;
And uphold me with a willing spirit.
- Then will I teach transgressors thy ways;
And sinners shall be converted unto thee.
- Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation;
[And] my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.
- O Lord, open thou my lips;
And my mouth shall show forth thy praise.
- For thou delightest not in sacrifice;
else would I give it: Thou hast no pleasure in burnt-offering.
- The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: A broken and contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
- Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: Build thou the walls of Jerusalem.
- Then will thou delight in the sacrifices of righteousness, In burnt-offering and in whole burnt-offering: Then will they offer bullocks upon thine altar.