- For the Chief Musician.
Maschil of David;
when Doeg the Edomite came and told Saul, and said unto him, David is come to the house of Abimelech.
- Why boastest thou thyself in mischief, O mighty man?
The lovingkindness of God [endureth] continually.
- Thy tongue deviseth very wickedness, Like a sharp razor, working deceitfully.
- Thou lovest evil more than good, And lying rather than to speak righteousness.
- Thou lovest all devouring words, thou deceitful tongue.
- God will likewise destroy thee for ever;
He will take thee up, and pluck thee out of thy tent, And root thee out of the land of the living.
- The righteous also shall see [it], and fear, And shall laugh at him, [saying],
- Lo, this is the man that made not God his strength, But trusted in the abundance of his riches, And strengthened himself in his wickedness.
- But as for me, I am like a green olive-tree in the house of God: I trust in the lovingkindness of God for ever and ever.
- I will give thee thanks for ever, because thou hast done it;
And I will hope in thy name, for it is good, in the presence of thy saints.