- For the Chief Musician;
on stringed instruments.
Maschil of David.
- Give ear to my prayer, O God;
And hide not thyself from my supplication.
- Attend unto me, and answer me: I am restless in my complaint, and moan,
- Because of the voice of the enemy, Because of the oppression of the wicked;
For they cast iniquity upon me, And in anger they persecute me.
- My heart is sore pained within me: And the terrors of death are fallen upon me.
- Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, And horror hath overwhelmed me.
- And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove!
Then would I fly away, and be at rest.
- Lo, then would I wander far off, I would lodge in the wilderness.
- I would haste me to a shelter From the stormy wind and tempest.
- Destroy, O Lord, [and] divide their tongue;
For I have seen violence and strife in the city.
- Day and night they go about it upon the walls thereof: Iniquity also and mischief are in the midst of it.
- Wickedness is in the midst thereof: Oppression and guile depart not from its streets.
- For it was not an enemy that reproached me;
Then I could have borne it: Neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me;
Then I would have hid myself from him:
- But it was thou, a man mine equal, My companion, and my familiar friend.
- We took sweet counsel together;
We walked in the house of God with the throng.
- Let death come suddenly upon them, Let them go down alive into Sheol;
For wickedness is in their dwelling, in the midst of them.
- As for me, I will call upon God;
And Jehovah will save me.
- Evening, and morning, and at noonday, will I complain, and moan;
And he will hear my voice.
- He hath redeemed my soul in peace from the battle that was against me;
For they were many [that strove] with me.
- God will hear, and answer them, Even he that abideth of old, Selah [The men] who have no changes, And who fear not God.
- He hath put forth his hands against such as were at peace with him: He hath profaned his covenant.
- His mouth was smooth as butter, But his heart was war: His words were softer than oil, Yet were they drawn swords.
- Cast thy burden upon Jehovah, and he will sustain thee: He will never suffer the righteous to be moved.
- But thou, O God, wilt bring them down into the pit of destruction: Bloodthirsty and deceitful men shall not live out half their days;
But I will trust in thee.