- For the Chief Musician;
set to Jonath elem rehokim.
[A Psalm] of David.
Michtam: when the Philistines took him in Gath.
- Be merciful unto me, O God;
for man would swallow me up: All the day long he fighting oppresseth me.
- Mine enemies would swallow me up all the day long;
For they are many that fight proudly against me.
- What time I am afraid, I will put my trust in thee.
- In God (I will praise his word), In God have I put my trust, I will not be afraid;
What can flesh do unto me?
- All the day long they wrest my words: All their thoughts are against me for evil.
- They gather themselves together, they hide themselves, They mark my steps, Even as they have waited for my soul.
- Shall they escape by iniquity?
In anger cast down the peoples, O God.
- Thou numberest my wanderings: Put thou my tears into thy bottle;
Are they not in thy book?
- Then shall mine enemies turn back in the day that I call: This I know, that God is for me.
- In God (I will praise [his] word), In Jehovah (I will praise [his] word),
- In God have I put my trust, I will not be afraid;
What can man do unto me?
- Thy vows are upon me, O God: I will render thank-offerings unto thee.
- For thou hast delivered my soul from death: [Hast thou] not [delivered] my feet from falling, That I may walk before God In the light of the living?