- For the Chief Musician;
[set to] Al-tashheth.
[A Psalm] of David.
when Saul sent, and they watched the house to kill him.
- Deliver me from mine enemies, O my God: Set me on high from them that rise up against me.
- Deliver me from the workers of iniquity, And save me from the bloodthirsty men.
- For, lo, they lie in wait for my soul;
The mighty gather themselves together against me: Not for my transgression, nor for my sin, O Jehovah.
- They run and prepare themselves without [my] fault: Awake thou to help me, and behold.
- Even thou, O Jehovah God of hosts, the God of Israel, Arise to visit all the nations: Be not merciful to any wicked transgressors.
- They return at evening, they howl like a dog, And go round about the city.
- Behold, they belch out with their mouth;
Swords are in their lips: For who, [say they], doth hear?
- But thou, O Jehovah, wilt laugh at them;
Thou wilt have all the nations in derision.
- [Because of] his strength I will give heed unto thee;
For God is my high tower.
- My God with his lovingkindness will meet me: God will let me see [my desire] upon mine enemies.
- Slay them not, lest my people forget: Scatter them by thy power, and bring them down, O Lord our shield.
- [For] the sin of their mouth, [and] the words of their lips, Let them even be taken in their pride, And for cursing and lying which they speak.
- Consume them in wrath, consume them, so that they shall be no more: And let them know that God ruleth in Jacob, Unto the ends of the earth.
- And at evening let them return, let them howl like a dog, And go round about the city.
- They shall wander up and down for food, And tarry all night if they be not satisfied.
- But I will sing of thy strength;
Yea, I will sing aloud of thy lovingkindness in the morning: For thou hast been my high tower, And a refuge in the day of my distress.
- Unto thee, O my strength, will I sing praises: For God is my high tower, the God of my mercy.