- For the Chief Musician;
[set to] Shushan Eduth.
Michtam of David, to teach;
and when he strove with Aram-naharaim and with Aram-zobah, and Joab returned, and smote of Edom in the Valley of Salt twelve thousand.
- O God thou hast cast us off, thou hast broken us down;
Thou hast been angry;
oh restore us again.
- Thou hast made the land to tremble;
thou hast rent it: Heal the breaches thereof;
for it shaketh.
- Thou hast showed thy people hard things: Thou hast made us to drink the wine of staggering.
- Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee, That it may be displayed because of the truth.
- That thy beloved may be delivered, Save with thy right hand, and answer us.
- God hath spoken in his holiness: I will exult;
I will divide Shechem, and mete out the valley of Succoth.
- Gilead is mine, and Manasseh is mine;
Ephraim also is the defence of my head;
Judah is my sceptre.
- Moab is my washpot;
Upon Edom will I cast my shoe: Philistia, shout thou because of me.
- Who will bring me into the strong city?
Who hath led me unto Edom?
- Hast not thou, O God, cast us off?
And thou goest not forth, O God, with our hosts.
- Give us help against the adversary;
For vain is the help of man.
- Through God we shall do valiantly;
For he it is that will tread down our adversaries.