- For the Chief Musician;
set to Shoshanim.
[A Psalm] of David.
- Save me, O God;
For the waters are come in unto my soul.
- I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing: I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me.
- I am weary with my crying;
my throat is dried: Mine eyes fail while I wait for my God.
- They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of my head: They that would cut me off, being mine enemies wrongfully, are mighty: That which I took not away I have to restore.
- O God, thou knowest my foolishness;
And my sins are not hid from thee.
- Let not them that wait for thee be put to shame through me, O Lord Jehovah of hosts: Let not those that seek thee be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel.
- Because for thy sake I have borne reproach;
Shame hath covered my face.
- I am become a stranger unto my brethren, And an alien unto my mother’s children.
- For the zeal of thy house hath eaten me up;
And the reproaches of them that reproach thee are fallen upon me.
- When I wept, [and chastened] my soul with fasting, That was to my reproach.
- When I made sackcloth my clothing, I became a byword unto them.
- They that sit in the gate talk of me;
And [I am] the song of the drunkards.
- But as for me, my prayer is unto thee, O Jehovah, in an acceptable time: O God, in the abundance of thy lovingkindness, Answer me in the truth of thy salvation.
- Deliver me out of the mire, and let me not sink: Let me be delivered from them that hate me, and out of the deep waters.
- Let not the waterflood overwhelm me, Neither let the deep shallow me up;
And let not the pit shut its mouth upon me.
- Answer me, O Jehovah;
for thy lovingkindness is good: According to the multitude of thy tender mercies turn thou unto me.
- And hide not thy face from thy servant;
For I am in distress;
answer me speedily.
- Draw nigh unto my soul, and redeem it: Ransom me because of mine enemies.
- Thou knowest my reproach, and my shame, and my dishonor: Mine adversaries are all before thee.
- Reproach hath broken my heart;
and I am full of heaviness: And I looked for some to take pity, but there was none;
And for comforters, but I found none.
- They gave me also gall for my food;
And in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
- Let their table before them become a snare;
And when they are in peace, [let it become] a trap.
- Let their eyes be darkened, so that they cannot see;
And make their loins continually to shake.
- Pour out thine indignation upon them, And let the fierceness of thine anger overtake them.
- Let their habitation be desolate;
Let none dwell in their tents.
- For they persecute him whom thou hast smitten;
And they tell of the sorrow of those whom thou hast wounded.
- Add iniquity unto their iniquity;
And let them not come into thy righteousness.
- Let them be blotted out of the book of life, And not be written with the righteous.
- But I am poor and sorrowful: Let thy salvation, O God, set me up on high.
- I will praise the name of God with a song, And will magnify him with thanksgiving.
- And it will please Jehovah better than an ox, [Or] a bullock that hath horns and hoofs.
- The meek have seen it, and are glad: Ye that seek after God, let your heart live.
- For Jehovah heareth the needy, And despiseth not his prisoners.
- Let heaven and earth praise him, The seas, and everything that moveth therein.
- For God will save Zion, and build the cities of Judah;
And they shall abide there, and have it in possession.
- The seed also of his servants shall inherit it;
And they that love his name shall dwell therein.