- Maschil of Asaph.
- O God, why hast thou cast [us] off for ever?
Why doth thine anger smoke against the sheep of thy pasture?
- Remember thy congregation, which thou hast gotten of old, Which thou hast redeemed to be the tribe of thine inheritance;
[And] mount Zion, wherein thou hast dwelt.
- Lift up thy feet unto the perpetual ruins, All the evil that the enemy hath done in the sanctuary.
- Thine adversaries have roared in the midst of thine assembly;
They have set up their ensigns for signs.
- They seemed as men that lifted up Axes upon a thicket of trees.
- And now all the carved work thereof They break down with hatchet and hammers.
- They have set thy sanctuary on fire;
They have profaned the dwelling-place of thy name [by casting it] to the ground.
- They said in their heart, Let us make havoc of them altogether: They have burned up all the synagogues of God in the land.
- We see not our signs: There is no more any prophet;
Neither is there among us any that knoweth how long.
- How long, O God, shall the adversary reproach?
Shall the enemy blaspheme thy name for ever?
- Why drawest thou back thy hand, even thy right hand?
[Pluck it] out of thy bosom [and] consume [them].
- Yet God is my King of old, Working salvation in the midst of the earth.
- Thou didst divide the sea by thy strength: Thou brakest the heads of the sea-monsters in the waters.
- Thou brakest the heads of leviathan in pieces;
Thou gavest him to be food to the people inhabiting the wilderness.
- Thou didst cleave fountain and flood: Thou driedst up mighty rivers.
- The day is thine, the night also is thine: Thou hast prepared the light and the sun.
- Thou hast set all the borders of the earth: Thou hast made summer and winter.
- Remember this, that the enemy hath reproached, O Jehovah, And that a foolish people hath blasphemed thy name.
- Oh deliver not the soul of thy turtle-dove unto the wild beast: Forget not the life of thy poor for ever.
- Have respect unto the covenant;
For the dark places of the earth are full of the habitations of violence.
- Oh let not the oppressed return ashamed: Let the poor and needy praise thy name.
- Arise, O God, plead thine own cause: Remember how the foolish man reproacheth thee all the day.
- Forget not the voice of thine adversaries: The tumult of those that rise up against thee ascendeth continually.