- A Psalm of Asaph.
- O God, the nations are come into thine inheritance;
Thy holy temple have they defiled;
They have laid Jerusalem in heaps.
- The dead bodies of thy servants have they given to be food unto the birds of the heavens, The flesh of thy saints unto the beasts of the earth.
- Their blood have they shed like water round about Jerusalem;
And there was none to bury them.
- We are become a reproach to our neighbors, A scoffing and derision to them that are round about us.
- How long, O Jehovah?
wilt thou be angry for ever?
Shall thy jealousy burn like fire?
- Pour out thy wrath upon the nations that know thee not, And upon the kingdoms that call not upon thy name.
- For they have devoured Jacob, And laid waste his habitation.
- Remember not against us the iniquities of our forefathers: Let thy tender mercies speedily meet us;
For we are brought very low.
- Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of thy name;
And deliver us, and forgive our sins, for thy name’s sake.
- Wherefore should the nations say, Where is their God?
Let the avenging of the blood of thy servants which is shed Be known among the nations in our sight.
- Let the sighing of the prisoner come before thee: According to the greatness of thy power preserve thou those that are appointed to death;
- And render unto our neighbors sevenfold into their bosom Their reproach, wherewith they have reproached thee, O Lord.
- So we thy people and sheep of thy pasture Will give thee thanks for ever: We will show forth thy praise to all generations.