- Maschil of Ethan the Ezrahite.
- I will sing of the lovingkindness of Jehovah for ever: With my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations.
- For I have said, Mercy shall be built up for ever;
Thy faithfulness wilt thou establish in the very heavens.
- I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant:
- Thy seed will I establish for ever, And build up thy throne to all generations.
- And the heavens shall praise thy wonders, O Jehovah;
Thy faithfulness also in the assembly of the holy ones.
- For who in the skies can be compared unto Jehovah?
Who among the sons of the mighty is like unto Jehovah,
- A God very terrible in the council of the holy ones, And to be feared above all them that are round about him?
- O Jehovah God of hosts, Who is a mighty one, like unto thee, O Jehovah?
And thy faithfulness is round about thee.
- Thou rulest the pride of the sea: When the waves thereof arise, thou stillest them.
- Thou hast broken Rahab in pieces, as one that is slain;
Thou hast scattered thine enemies with the arm of thy strength.
- The heavens are thine, the earth also is thine: The world and the fulness thereof, thou hast founded them.
- The north and the south, thou hast created them: Tabor and Hermon rejoice in thy name.
- Thou hast a mighty arm;
Strong is thy hand, and high is thy right hand.
- Righteousness and justice are the foundation of thy throne: Lovingkindness and truth go before thy face.
- Blessed is the people that know the joyful sound: They walk, O Jehovah, in the light of thy countenance.
- In thy name do they rejoice all the day;
And in thy righteousness are they exalted.
- For thou art the glory of their strength;
And in thy favor our horn shall be exalted.
- For our shield belongeth unto Jehovah;
And our king to the Holy One of Israel.
- Then thou spakest in vision to thy saints, And saidst, I have laid help upon one that is mighty;
I have exalted one chosen out of the people.
- I have found David my servant;
With my holy oil have I anointed him:
- With whom my hand shall be established;
Mine arm also shall strengthen him.
- The enemy shall not exact from him, Nor the son of wickedness afflict him.
- And I will beat down his adversaries before him, And smite them that hate him.
- But my faithfulness and my lovingkindness shall be with him;
And in my name shall his horn be exalted.
- I will set his hand also on the sea, And his right hand on the rivers.
- He shall cry unto me, Thou art my Father, My God, and the rock of my salvation.
- I also will make him [my] first-born, The highest of the kings of the earth.
- My lovingkindness will I keep for him for evermore;
And my covenant shall stand fast with him.
- His seed also will I make to endure for ever, And his throne as the days of heaven.
- If his children forsake my law, And walk not in mine ordinances;
- If they break my statutes, And keep not my commandments;
- Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, And their iniquity with stripes.
- But my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, Nor suffer my faithfulness to fail.
- My covenant will I not break, Nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.
- Once have I sworn by my holiness: I will not lie unto David:
- His seed shall endure for ever, And his throne as the sun before me.
- It shall be established for ever as the moon, And [as] the faithful witness in the sky.
- But thou hast cast off and rejected, Thou hast been wroth with thine anointed.
- Thou hast abhorred the covenant of thy servant: Thou hast profaned his crown [by casting it] to the ground.
- Thou hast broken down all his hedges;
Thou hast brought his strongholds to ruin.
- All that pass by the way rob him: He is become a reproach to his neighbors.
- Thou hast exalted the right hand of his adversaries;
Thou hast made all his enemies to rejoice.
- Yea, thou turnest back the edge of his sword, And hast not made him to stand in the battle.
- Thou hast made his brightness to cease, And cast his throne down to the ground.
- The days of his youth hast thou shortened: Thou hast covered him with shame.
- How long, O Jehovah?
wilt thou hide thyself for ever?
[How long] shall thy wrath burn like fire?
- Oh remember how short my time is: For what vanity hast thou created all the children of men!
- What man is he that shall live and not see death, That shall deliver his soul from the power of Sheol?
- Lord, where are thy former lovingkindnesses, Which thou swarest unto David in thy faithfulness?
- Remember, Lord, the reproach of thy servants;
How I do bear in my bosom [the reproach of] all the mighty peoples,
- Wherewith thine enemies have reproached, O Jehovah, Wherewith they have reproached the footsteps of thine anointed.
- Blessed be Jehovah for evermore.
Amen, and Amen.