- I am come into my garden, my sister, [my] bride: I have gathered my myrrh with my spice;
I have eaten my honeycomb with my honey;
I have drunk my wine with my milk.
Eat, O friends;
Drink, yea, drink abundantly, O beloved.
- I was asleep, but my heart waked: It is the voice of my beloved that knocketh, [saying], Open to me, my sister, my love, my dove, my undefiled;
For my head is filled with dew, My locks with the drops of the night.
- I have put off my garment;
how shall I put it on?
I have washed my feet;
how shall I defile them?
- My beloved put in his hand by the hole [of the door], And my heart was moved for him.
- I rose up to open to my beloved;
And my hands droppeth with myrrh, And my fingers with liquid myrrh, Upon the handles of the bolt.
- I opened to my beloved;
But my beloved had withdrawn himself, [and] was gone.
My soul had failed me when he spake: I sought him, but I could not find him;
I called him, but he gave me no answer.
- The watchmen that go about the city found me, They smote me, they wounded me;
The keepers of the walls took away my mantle from me.
- I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem, If ye find my beloved, That ye tell him, that I am sick from love.
- What is thy beloved more than [another] beloved, O thou fairest among women?
What is thy beloved more than [another] beloved, That thou dost so adjure us?
- My beloved is white and ruddy, The chiefest among ten thousand.
- His head is [as] the most fine gold;
His locks are bushy, [and] black as a raven.
- His eyes are like doves beside the water-brooks, Washed with milk, [and] fitly set.
- His cheeks are as a bed of spices, [As] banks of sweet herbs: His lips are [as] lilies, dropping liquid myrrh.
- His hands are [as] rings of gold set with beryl: His body is [as] ivory work overlaid [with] sapphires.
- His legs are [as] pillars of marble, set upon sockets of fine gold: His aspect is like Lebanon, excellent as the cedars.
- His mouth is most sweet;
Yea, he is altogether lovely.
This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.