- Gather yourselves together, yea, gather together, O nation that hath no shame;
- before the decree bring forth, [before] the day pass as the chaff, before the fierce anger of Jehovah come upon you, before the day of Jehovah’s anger come upon you.
- Seek ye Jehovah, all ye meek of the earth, that have kept his ordinances;
seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye will be hid in the day of Jehovah’s anger.
- For Gaza shall be forsaken, and Ashkelon a desolation;
they shall drive out Ashdod at noonday, and Ekron shall be rooted up.
- Woe unto the inhabitants of the sea-coast, the nation of the Cherethites!
The word of Jehovah is against you, O Canaan, the land of the Philistines;
I will destroy thee, that there shall be no inhabitant.
- And the sea-coast shall be pastures, with cottages for shepherds and folds for flocks.
- And the coast shall be for the remnant of the house of Judah;
they shall feed [their flocks] thereupon;
in the houses of Ashkelon shall they lie down in the evening;
for Jehovah their God will visit them, and bring back their captivity.
- I have heard the reproach of Moab, and the revilings of the children of Ammon, wherewith they have reproached my people, and magnified themselves against their border.
- Therefore as I live, saith Jehovah of hosts, the God of Israel, Surely Moab shall be as Sodom, and the children of Ammon as Gomorrah, a possession of nettles, and saltpits, and a perpetual desolation: the residue of my people shall make a prey of them, and the remnant of my nation shall inherit them.
- This shall they have for their pride, because they have reproached and magnified themselves against the people of Jehovah of hosts.
- Jehovah will be terrible unto them;
for he will famish all the gods of the earth;
and men shall worship him, every one from his place, even all the isles of the nations.
- Ye Ethiopians also, ye shall be slain by my sword.
- And he will stretch out his hand against the north, and destroy Assyria, and will make Nineveh a desolation, and dry like the wilderness.
- And herds shall lie down in the midst of her, all the beasts of the nations: both the pelican and the porcupine shall lodge in the capitals thereof;
[their] voice shall sing in the windows;
desolation shall be in the thresholds: for he hath laid bare the cedar-work.
- This is the joyous city that dwelt carelessly, that said in her heart, I am, and there is none besides me: how is she become a desolation, a place for beasts to lie down in!
every one that passeth by her shall hiss, and wag his hand.