- I who am myself one of the rulers of the church, and a witness of the death of Christ, having my part in the coming glory, send this serious request to the chief men among you:
- Keep watch over the flock of God which is in your care, using your authority, not as forced to do so, but gladly;
and not for unclean profit but with a ready mind;
- Not as lords over God's heritage, but making yourselves examples to the flock.
- And at the coming of the chief Keeper of the sheep, you will be given the eternal crown of glory.
- And in the same way, let the younger men be ruled by the older ones.
Let all of you put away pride and make yourselves ready to be servants: for God is a hater of pride, but he gives grace to those who make themselves low.
- For this cause make yourselves low under the strong hand of God, so that when the time comes you may be lifted up;
- Putting all your troubles on him, for he takes care of you.
- Be serious and keep watch;
the Evil One, who is against you, goes about like a lion with open mouth in search of food;
- Do not give way to him but be strong in your faith, in the knowledge that your brothers who are in the world undergo the same troubles.
- And after you have undergone pain for a little time, the God of all grace who has given you a part in his eternal glory through Christ Jesus, will himself give you strength and support, and make you complete in every good thing;
- His is the power for ever.
So be it.
- I have sent you this short letter by Silvanus, a true brother, in my opinion;
comforting you and witnessing that this is the true grace of God;
keep to it.
- She who is in Babylon, who has a part with you in the purpose of God, sends you her love;
and so does my son Mark.
- Give one another the kiss of love.
Peace be to you all in Christ.