- Now when Samuel was old, he made his sons judges over Israel.
- The name of his first son was Joel and the name of his second Abijah: they were judges in Beer-sheba.
- And his sons did not go in his ways, but moved by the love of money took rewards, and were not upright in judging.
- Then all the responsible men of Israel got together and went to Samuel at Ramah,
- And said to him, See now, you are old, and your sons do not go in your ways: give us a king now to be our judge, so that we may be like the other nations.
- But Samuel was not pleased when they said to him, Give us a king to be our judge.
And Samuel made prayer to the Lord.
- And the Lord said to Samuel, Give ear to the voice of the people and what they say to you: they have not been turned away from you, but they have been turned away from me, not desiring me to be king over them.
- As they have done from the first, from the day when I took them out of Egypt till this day, turning away from me and worshipping other gods, so now they are acting in the same way to you.
- Give ear now to their voice: but make a serious protest to them, and give them a picture of the sort of king who will be their ruler.
- And Samuel said all these words of the Lord to the people who were desiring a king.
- And he said, This is the sort of king who will be your ruler: he will take your sons and make them his servants, his horsemen, and drivers of his war-carriages, and they will go running before his war-carriages;
- And he will make them captains of thousands and of fifties;
some he will put to work ploughing and cutting his grain and making his instruments of war and building his war-carriages.
- Your daughters he will take to be makers of perfumes and cooks and bread-makers.
- He will take your fields and your vine-gardens and your olive-gardens, all the best of them, and give them to his servants.
- He will take a tenth of your seed and of the fruit of your vines and give it to his servants.
- He will take your men-servants and your servant-girls, and the best of your oxen and your asses and put them to his work.
- He will take a tenth of your sheep: and you will be his servants.
- Then you will be crying out because of your king whom you have taken for yourselves;
but the Lord will not give you an answer in that day.
- But the people gave no attention to the voice of Samuel;
and they said, No, but we will have a king over us,
- So that we may be like the other nations, and so that our king may be our judge and go out before us to war.
- Then Samuel, after hearing all the people had to say, went and gave an account of it to the Lord.
- And the Lord said to Samuel, Give ear to their voice and make a king for them.
Then Samuel said to the men of Israel, Let every man go back to his town.