- We then, working together with God, make our request to you not to take the grace of God to no purpose.
- (For he says, I have given ear to you at a good time, and I have been your helper in a day of salvation: see, now is the good time;
now is the day of salvation):
- Giving no cause for trouble in anything, so that no one may be able to say anything against our work;
- But in everything making it clear that we are the servants of God, in quiet strength, in troubles, in need, in sorrow,
- In blows, in prisons, in attacks, in hard work, in watchings, in going without food;
- In a clean heart, in knowledge, in long waiting, in being kind, in the Holy Spirit, in true love,
- In the true word, in the power of God;
with the arms of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,
- By glory and by shame, by an evil name and a good name;
as untrue, and still true;
- Unnoted, but still kept fully in mind;
as near to death, but still living;
as undergoing punishment, but not put to death;
- As full of sorrow, but ever glad;
as poor, but giving wealth to others;
as having nothing, but still having all things.
- Our mouth is open to you, O Corinthians, our heart is wide.
- It is not our feelings to you which are narrow, but yours to us.
- Now to give me back payment of the same sort (I am talking as to my children), let your hearts be wide open to me.
- Do not keep company with those who have not faith: for what is there in common between righteousness and evil, or between light and dark?
- And what agreement is there between Christ and the Evil One?
or what part has one who has faith with one who has not?
- And what agreement has the house of God with images?
for we are a house of the living God;
even as God has said, I will be living among them, and walking with them;
and I will be their God, and they will be my people.
- For which cause, Come out from among them, and be separate, says the Lord, and let no unclean thing come near you;
and I will take you for myself,
- And will be a Father to you;
and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord, the Ruler of all.