- And David made a song to the Lord in these words, on the day when the Lord made him free from the hands of all his haters, and from the hand of Saul:
- And he said, The Lord is my Rock, my walled town, and my saviour, even mine;
- My God, my Rock, in him will I put my faith;
my breastplate, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my safe place;
my saviour, who keeps me safe from the violent man.
- I will send up my cry to the Lord, who is to be praised;
so will I be made safe from those who are against me.
- For the waves of death came round me, and the seas of evil put me in fear;
- The cords of hell were round me: the nets of death came on me.
- In my trouble my voice went up to the Lord, and my cry to my God: my voice came to his hearing in his holy Temple, and my prayer came to his ears.
- Then the earth was moved with a violent shock;
the bases of heaven were moved and shaking, because he was angry.
- There went up a smoke from his nose, and a fire of destruction from his mouth: coals were lighted by it.
- The heavens were bent, so that he might come down;
and it was dark under his feet.
- And he went through the air, seated on a storm-cloud: going quickly on the wings of the wind.
- And he made the dark his tent round him, a mass of waters, thick clouds of the skies.
- Before his shining light his dark clouds went past, raining ice and coals of fire.
- The Lord made thunder in the heavens, and the voice of the Highest was sounding out.
- And he sent out his arrows, driving them in all directions;
by his flames of fire they were troubled.
- Then the deep beds of the sea were seen, and the bases of the world were uncovered, because of the Lord's wrath, because of the breath of his mouth.
- He sent from on high, he took me, pulling me out of great waters.
- He made me free from my strong hater, from those who were against me, because they were stronger than I.
- They came on me in the day of my trouble: but the Lord was my support.
- He took me out into a wide place;
he was my saviour because he had delight in me.
- The Lord gives me the reward of my righteousness, because my hands are clean before him.
- For I have kept the ways of the Lord;
I have not been turned away in sin from my God.
- For all his decisions were before me, and I did not put away his laws from me.
- And I was upright before him, and I kept myself from sin.
- Because of this the Lord has given me the reward of my righteousness, because my hands are clean in his eyes.
- On him who has mercy you will have mercy;
to the upright you will be upright;
- He who is holy will see that you are holy;
but to the man whose way is not straight you will be a hard judge.
- For you are the saviour of those who are in trouble;
but your eyes are on men of pride, to make them low.
- For you are my light, O Lord;
and the Lord will make the dark bright for me.
- By your help I have made a way through the wall which was shutting me in: by the help of my God I have gone over a wall.
- As for God, his way is all good: the word of the Lord is tested;
he is a safe cover for all those who put their faith in him.
- For who is God but the Lord?
and who is a Rock but our God?
- God puts a strong band about me, guiding me in a straight way.
- He makes my feet like roes' feet, and puts me on high places.
- He makes my hands expert in war, so that a bow of brass is bent by my arms.
- You have given me the breastplate of your salvation, and your mercy has made me great.
- You have made my steps wide under me, so that my feet make no slip.
- I go after my haters and overtake them;
not turning back till they are all overcome.
- I have sent destruction on them and given them wounds, so that they are not able to get up: they are stretched under my feet.
- For I have been armed by you with strength for the fight: you have made low under me those who came out against me.
- By you their backs are turned in flight, so that my haters are cut off.
- They were crying out, but there was no one to come to their help: even to the Lord, but he gave them no answer.
- Then they were crushed as small as the dust of the earth, stamped down under my feet like the waste of the streets.
- You have made me free from the fightings of my people;
you have made me the head of the nations: a people of whom I had no knowledge will be my servants.
- Men of other countries will, with false hearts, put themselves under my authority: from the time when my name comes to their ears, they will be ruled by me.
- They will be wasted away, they will come out of their secret places shaking with fear.
- The Lord is living;
praise be to my Rock, and let the God of my salvation be honoured:
- It is God who sends punishment on my haters, and puts peoples under my rule.
- He makes me free from my haters: I am lifted up over those who come up against me: you have made me free from the violent man.
- Because of this I will give you praise, O Lord, among the nations, and will make a song of praise to your name.
- Great salvation does he give to his king;
he has mercy on the king of his selection, David, and on his seed for ever.