- Now the Apostles and the brothers who were in Judaea had news that the word of God had been given to the Gentiles.
- And when Peter came to Jerusalem, those who kept the rule of circumcision had an argument with him,
- Saying, You went to men without circumcision, and took food with them.
- But Peter gave them an account of it all in order, saying to them,
- I was in the town of Joppa, at prayer: and falling into a deep sleep, I saw in a vision a vessel like a great cloth let down from heaven, and it came down to me:
- And looking on it with attention I saw in it all sorts of beasts and birds.
- And a voice came to my ears saying, Come, Peter;
take them for food.
- But I said, No, Lord;
for nothing common or unclean has ever come into my mouth.
- But the voice, coming a second time from heaven, said, What God has made clean, do not you make common.
- And this was done three times, and they were all taken up again into heaven.
- And at that minute, three men, sent from Caesarea, came to the house where we were.
- And the Spirit gave me orders to go with them, doubting nothing.
And these six brothers came with me;
and we went into that man's house:
- And he gave us an account of how he had seen the angel in his house, saying, Send to Joppa, and get Simon, named Peter, to come to you;
- Who will say words to you through which you and all your family may get salvation.
- And, while I was talking to them, the Holy Spirit came on them, as on us at first.
- And the words of the Lord came into my mind, how he said, The baptism of John was with water, but you will have baptism with the Holy Spirit.
- If then God gave them, when they had faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, the same as he gave to us, who was I to go against God?
- And hearing these things they said nothing more, but gave glory to God, saying, Then to the Gentiles as to us has God given a change of heart, so that they may have life.
- Then those who had gone away at the time of the trouble about Stephen, went as far as Phoenicia and Cyprus, preaching to the Jews only.
- But some of them, men of Cyprus and Cyrene, when they came to Antioch, gave the good news about the Lord Jesus to the Greeks.
- And the power of the Lord was with them, and a great number had faith and were turned to the Lord.
- And news of them came to the ears of the church at Jerusalem: and they sent Barnabas as far as Antioch:
- Who, when he came and saw the grace of God, was glad;
and he made clear to them the need of keeping near the Lord with all the strength of their hearts:
- For he was a good man and full of the Holy Spirit and of faith: and a great number were joined to the Lord.
- Then he went on to Tarsus, looking for Saul;
- And when he had come across him, he took him to Antioch.
And they were with the church there for a year, teaching the people;
and the disciples were first given the name of Christians in Antioch.
- Now in those days prophets came from Jerusalem to Antioch.
- And one of them, named Agabus, said publicly through the Spirit that there would be serious need of food all over the earth: which came about in the time of Claudius.
- And the disciples, everyone as he was able, made a decision to send help to the brothers living in Judaea:
- Which they did, sending it to the rulers of the church by the hand of Barnabas and Saul.