- Give ear to this word, my song of sorrow over you, O children of Israel.
- The virgin of Israel has been made low, never again to be lifted up: she is stretched out by herself on her land;
there is no one to put her on her feet again.
- For these are the words of the Lord God: The town which was able to send out a thousand, will have only a hundred;
and that which sent out a hundred, will have only ten, in Israel.
- For these are the words of the Lord to the children of Israel: Let your hearts be turned to me, so that you may have life:
- Do not be looking for help to Beth-el, and do not go to Gilgal, or make your way to Beer-sheba: for Gilgal will certainly be taken prisoner, and Beth-el will come to nothing.
- Go to the Lord for help so that you may have life;
for fear that he may come like fire bursting out in the family of Joseph, causing destruction, and there will be no one to put it out in Beth-el.
- You who make the work of judging a bitter thing, crushing down righteousness to the earth;
- Go for help to him who makes Orion and the Pleiades, by whom the deep dark is turned into morning, who makes the day black with night;
whose voice goes out to the waters of the sea, sending them out over the face of the earth: the Lord is his name;
- Who sends sudden destruction on the strong, so that destruction comes on the walled town.
- They have hate for him who makes protest against evil in the public place, and he whose words are upright is disgusting to them.
- So because the poor man is crushed under your feet, and you take taxes from him of grain: you have made for yourselves houses of cut stone, but you will not take your rest in them;
the fair vine-gardens planted by your hands will not give you wine.
- For I have seen how your evil-doing is increased and how strong are your sins, you troublers of the upright, who take rewards and do wrong to the cause of the poor in the public place.
- So the wise will say nothing in that time;
for it is an evil time.
- Go after good and not evil, so that life may be yours: and so the Lord, the God of armies, will be with you, as you say.
- Be haters of evil and lovers of good, and let right be done in the public place: it may be that the Lord, the God of armies, will have mercy on the rest of Joseph.
- So these are the words of the Lord, the God of armies, the Lord: There will be weeping in all the open spaces;
and in all the streets they will say, Sorrow!
and they will get in the farmer to the weeping, and the makers of sad songs to give cries of grief.
- In all the vine-gardens there will be cries of grief: for I will go through among you, says the Lord.
- Sorrow to you who are looking for the day of the Lord!
what is the day of the Lord to you?
it is dark and not light.
- As if a man, running away from a lion, came face to face with a bear;
or went into the house and put his hand on the wall and got a bite from a snake.
- Will not the day of the Lord be dark and not light?
even very dark, with no light shining in it?
- Your feasts are disgusting to me, I will have nothing to do with them;
I will take no delight in your holy meetings.
- Even if you give me your burned offerings and your meal offerings, I will not take pleasure in them: I will have nothing to do with the peace-offerings of your fat beasts.
- Take away from me the noise of your songs;
my ears are shut to the melody of your instruments.
- But let the right go rolling on like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.
- Did you come to me with offerings of beasts and meal offerings in the waste land for forty years, O Israel?
- Truly, you will take up Saccuth your king and Kaiwan your images, the star of your god, which you made for yourselves.
- And I will send you away as prisoners farther than Damascus, says the Lord, whose name is the God of armies.