- Now the years of Sarah's life were a hundred and twenty-seven.
- And Sarah's death took place in Kiriath-arba, that is, Hebron, in the land of Canaan: and Abraham went into his house, weeping and sorrowing for Sarah.
- And Abraham came from his dead and said to the children of Heth,
- I am living among you as one from a strange country: give me some land here as my property, so that I may put my dead to rest.
- And in answer the children of Heth said to Abraham,
- My lord, truly you are a great chief among us;
take the best of our resting-places for your dead;
not one of us will keep back from you a place where you may put your dead to rest.
- And Abraham got up and gave honour to the children of Heth, the people of that land.
- And he said to them, If you will let me put my dead to rest here, make a request for me to Ephron, the son of Zohar,
- That he will give me the hollow in the rock named Machpelah, which is his property at the end of his field;
let him give it to me for its full price as a resting-place for my dead among you.
- Now Ephron was seated among the children of Heth: and Ephron the Hittite gave Abraham his answer in the hearing of the children of Heth, and of all those who came into his town, saying,
- No, my lord, I will give you the field with the hollow in the rock;
before all the children of my people will I give it to you for a resting-place for your dead.
- And Abraham went down on his face before the people of the land.
- And Abraham said to Ephron, in the hearing of the people of the land, If only you will give ear to me, I will give you the price of the field;
take it, and let me put my dead to rest there.
- So Ephron said to Abraham,
- My lord, give ear to me: the value of the land is four hundred shekels;
what is that between me and you?
so put your dead to rest there.
- And Abraham took note of the price fixed by Ephron in the hearing of the children of Heth, and gave him four hundred shekels in current money.
- So Ephron's field at Machpelah near Mamre, with the hollow in the rock and all the trees in the field and round it,
- Became the property of Abraham before the eyes of the children of Heth and of all who came into the town.
- Then Abraham put Sarah his wife to rest in the hollow rock in the field of Machpelah near Mamre, that is, Hebron in the land of Canaan.
- And the field and the hollow rock were handed over to Abraham as his property by the children of Heth.