- And God said to Jacob, Go up now to Beth-el and make your living-place there: and put up an altar there to the God who came to you when you were in flight from your brother Esau.
- Then Jacob said to all his people, Put away the strange gods which are among you, and make yourselves clean, and put on a change of clothing:
- And let us go up to Beth-el: and there I will make an altar to God, who gave me an answer in the day of my trouble, and was with me wherever I went.
- Then they gave to Jacob all the strange gods which they had, and the rings which were in their ears;
and Jacob put them away under the holy tree at Shechem.
- So they went on their journey: and the fear of God was on the towns round about, so that they made no attack on the sons of Jacob.
- And Jacob came to Luz in the land of Canaan (which is the same as Beth-el), he and all his people.
- And there he made an altar, naming the place El-beth-el: because it was there he had the vision of God when he was in flight from his brother.
- And Deborah, the servant who had taken care of Rebekah from her birth, came to her end, and was put to rest near Beth-el, under the holy tree: and they gave it the name of Allon-bacuth.
- Now when Jacob was on his way from Paddan-aram, God came to him again and, blessing him, said,
- Jacob is your name, but it will be so no longer;
from now your name will be Israel;
so he was named Israel.
- And God said to him, I am God, the Ruler of all: be fertile, and have increase;
a nation, truly a group of nations, will come from you, and kings will be your offspring;
- And the land which I gave to Abraham and Isaac, I will give to you;
and to your seed after you I will give the land.
- Then God went up from him in the place where he had been talking with him.
- And Jacob put up a pillar in the place where he had been talking with God, and put a drink offering on it, and oil.
- And he gave to the place where God had been talking with him, the name of Beth-el.
- So they went on from Beth-el;
and while they were still some distance from Ephrath, the pains of birth came on Rachel and she had a hard time.
- And when her pain was very great, the woman who was helping her said, Have no fear;
for now you will have another son.
- And in the hour when her life went from her (for death came to her), she gave the child the name Ben-oni: but his father gave him the name of Benjamin.
- So Rachel came to her end and was put to rest on the road to Ephrath (which is Beth-lehem).
- And Jacob put up a pillar on her resting-place;
which is named, The Pillar of the resting-place of Rachel, to this day.
- And Israel went journeying on and put up his tents on the other side of the tower of the flock.
- Now while they were living in that country, Reuben had connection with Bilhah, his father's servant-woman: and Israel had news of it.
- Now Jacob had twelve sons: the sons of Leah: Reuben, Jacob's first son, and Simeon and Levi and Judah and Issachar and Zebulun;
- The sons of Rachel: Joseph and Benjamin;
- The sons of Bilhah, Rachel's servant: Dan and Naphtali;
- The sons of Zilpah, Leah's servant: Gad and Asher;
these are the sons whom Jacob had in Paddan-aram.
- And Jacob came to his father Isaac at Mamre, at Kiriath-arba, that is, Hebron, where Abraham and Isaac had been living.
- And Isaac was a hundred and eighty years old.
- Then Isaac came to his end and was put to rest with his father's people, an old man after a long life: and Jacob and Esau, his sons, put him in his last resting-place.