- And Israel went on his journey with all he had, and came to Beer-sheba, where he made offerings to the God of his father Isaac.
- And God said to Israel in a night-vision, Jacob, Jacob.
And he said, Here am I.
- And he said, I am God, the God of your father: go down to Egypt without fear, for I will make a great nation of you there:
- I will go down with you to Egypt, and I will see that you come back again, and at your death Joseph will put his hands on your eyes.
- Then Jacob went on from Beer-sheba;
and the sons of Jacob took their father and their little ones and their wives in the carts which Pharaoh had sent for them.
- And they took their cattle and all the goods which they had got in the land of Canaan, and came to Egypt, even Jacob and all his seed:
- His sons and his sons' sons, his daughters and his daughters' sons and all his family he took with him into Egypt.
- And these are the names of the children of Israel who came into Egypt, even Jacob and all his sons: Reuben, Jacob's oldest son;
- And the sons of Reuben: Hanoch and Pallu and Hezron and Carmi;
- And the sons of Simeon: Jemuel and Jamin and Ohad and Jachin and Zohar and Shaul, the son of a woman of Canaan;
- And the sons of Levi: Gershon, Kohath, and Merari;
- And the sons of Judah: Er and Onan and Shelah and Perez and Zerah: but Er and Onan had come to their death in the land of Canaan;
and the sons of Perez were Hezron and Hamul.
- And the sons of Issachar: Tola and Puah and Job and Shimron;
- And the sons of Zebulun: Sered and Elon and Jahleel;
- All these, together with his daughter Dinah, were the children of Leah, whom Jacob had by her in Paddan-aram;
they were thirty-three in number.
- And the sons of Gad: Ziphion and Haggi, Shuni and Ezbon, Eri and Arodi and Areli;
- And the sons of Asher: Jimnah and Ishvah and Ishvi and Beriah, and Sarah, their sister;
and the sons of Beriah: Heber and Malchiel.
- These are the children of Zilpah, whom Laban gave to his daughter Leah, and Jacob had these sixteen children by her.
- The sons of Jacob's wife Rachel: Joseph and Benjamin.
- And Joseph had Manasseh and Ephraim in the land of Egypt, by Asenath, the daughter of Poti-phera, priest of On.
- And the sons of Benjamin were Belah and Becher and Ashbel, Gera and Naaman, Ehi and Rosh, Muppim and Huppim and Ard.
- All these were the children of Rachel whom Jacob had by her, fourteen persons.
- And the son of Dan was Hushim.
- And the sons of Naphtali: Jahzeel and Guni and Jezer and Shillem.
- These were the children of Bilhah, whom Laban gave to his daughter Rachel, seven persons.
- All the persons who came with Jacob into Egypt, the offspring of his body, were sixty-six, without taking into account the wives of Jacob's sons.
- And the sons of Joseph whom he had in Egypt were two.
Seventy persons of the family of Jacob came into Egypt.
- Now he had sent Judah before him to Goshen, to get word from Joseph;
and so they came to the land of Goshen.
- And Joseph got his carriage ready and went to Goshen for the meeting with his father;
and when he came before him, he put his arms round his neck, weeping.
- And Israel said to Joseph, Now that I have seen you living again, I am ready for death.
- And Joseph said to his brothers and to his father's people, I will go and give the news to Pharaoh, and say to him, My brothers and my father's people, from the land of Canaan, have come to me;
- And these men are keepers of sheep and owners of cattle, and have with them their flocks and their herds and all they have.
- Now when Pharaoh sends for you and says, What is your business?
- You are to say, Your servants have been keepers of cattle from our early days up to now, like our fathers;
in this way you will be able to have the land of Goshen for yourselves;
because keepers of sheep are unclean in the eyes of the Egyptians.