- For this reason, holy brothers, marked out to have a part in heaven, give thought to Jesus the representative and high priest of our faith;
- Who kept faith with God who gave him his place, even as Moses did in all his house.
- And it was right for this man to have more honour than Moses, even as the builder of a house has more honour than the house.
- For every house has a builder;
but the builder of all things is God.
- And Moses certainly kept faith as a servant, in all his house, and as a witness of those things which were to be said later;
- But Christ as a son, over his house;
whose house are we, if we keep our hearts fixed in the glad and certain hope till the end.
- And so, as the Holy Spirit says, Today if you let his voice come to your ears,
- Be not hard of heart, as when you made me angry, on the day of testing in the waste land,
- When your fathers put me to the test, and saw my works for forty years.
- So that I was angry with this generation, and I said, Their hearts are in error at all times, and they have no knowledge of my ways;
- And being angry I made an oath, saying, They may not come into my rest.
- My brothers, take care that there is not by chance in any one of you an evil heart without belief, turning away from the living God:
- But give comfort to one another every day as long as it is still Today;
so that no one among you may be made hard by the deceit of sin:
- For if we keep the substance of the faith which we had at the start, even till the end, we have a part with Christ;
- As it is said, Today if you will let his voice come to your ears, be not hard of heart, as when you made him angry.
- Who made him angry when his voice came to them?
was it not all those who came out of Egypt with Moses?
- And with whom was he angry for forty years?
was it not with those who did evil, who came to their deaths in the waste land?
- And to whom did he make an oath that they might not come into his rest?
was it not to those who went against his orders?
- So we see that they were not able to go in because they had no belief.