- When Israel was a child he was dear to me;
and I took my son out of Egypt.
- When I sent for them, then they went away from me;
they made offerings to the Baals, burning perfumes to images.
- But I was guiding Ephraim's footsteps;
I took them up in my arms, but they were not conscious that I was ready to make them well.
- I made them come after me with the cords of a man, with the bands of love;
I was to them as one who took the yoke from off their mouths, putting meat before them.
- He will go back to the land of Egypt and the Assyrian will be his king, because they would not come back to me.
- And the sword will go through his towns, wasting his children and causing destruction because of their evil designs.
- My people are given up to sinning against me;
though their voice goes up on high, no one will be lifting them up.
- How may I give you up, O Ephraim?
how may I be your saviour, O Israel?
how may I make you like Admah?
how may I do to you as I did to Zeboim?
My heart is turned in me, it is soft with pity.
- I will not put into effect the heat of my wrath;
I will not again send destruction on Ephraim;
for I am God and not man, the Holy One among you;
I will not put an end to you.
- They will go after the Lord;
his cry will be like that of a lion;
his cry will be loud, and the children will come from the west, shaking with fear;
- Shaking with fear like a bird, they will come out of Egypt, like a dove out of the land of Assyria: and I will give them rest in their houses, says the Lord.