- The deceit of Ephraim and the false words of Israel are about me on every side. …
- Ephraim's food is the wind, and he goes after the east wind: deceit and destruction are increasing day by day;
they make an agreement with Assyria, and take oil into Egypt.
- The Lord has a cause against Judah, and will give punishment to Jacob for his ways;
he will give him the reward of his acts.
- In the body of his mother he took his brother by the foot, and in his strength he was fighting with God;
- He had a fight with the angel and overcame him;
he made request for grace to him with weeping;
he came face to face with him in Beth-el and there his words came to him;
- Even the Lord, the God of armies;
the Lord is his name.
- So then, come back to your God;
keep mercy and right, and be waiting at all times on your God.
- As for Canaan, the scales of deceit are in his hands;
he takes pleasure in twisted ways.
- And Ephraim said, Now I have got wealth and much property;
in all my works no sin may be seen in me.
- But I am the Lord your God from the land of Egypt;
I will give you tents for your living-places again as in the days of the holy meeting.
- My word came to the ears of the prophets and I gave them visions in great number, and by the mouths of the prophets I made use of comparisons.
- In Gilead there is evil.
They are quite without value;
in Gilgal they make offerings of oxen;
truly their altars are like masses of stones in the hollows of a ploughed field.
- And Jacob went in flight into the field of Aram, and Israel became a servant for a wife, and for a wife he kept sheep.
- And by a prophet the Lord made Israel come up out of Egypt, and by a prophet he was kept safe.
- I have been bitterly moved to wrath by Ephraim;
so that his blood will be on him, and the Lord will make his shame come back on him.