- Give ear to the word of the Lord, O children of Israel;
for the Lord has a cause against the people of this land, because there is no good faith in it, and no mercy and no knowledge of God in the land.
- There is cursing and broken faith, violent death and attacks on property, men are untrue in married life, houses are broken into, and there is blood touching blood.
- Because of this the land will be dry, and everyone living in it will be wasted away, with the beasts of the field and the birds of heaven;
even the fishes of the sea will be taken away.
- Let no man go to law or make protests, for your people are like those who go to law with a priest.
- You will not be able to keep on your feet by day, and by night the prophet will be falling down with you, and I will give your mother to destruction.
- Destruction has overtaken my people because they have no knowledge;
because you have given up knowledge, I will give you up, so that you will be no priest to me, because you have not kept in mind the law of your God, I will not keep your children in my memory.
- Even while they were increasing in number they were sinning against me;
I will let their glory be changed into shame.
- The sin of my people is like food to them;
and their desire is for their wrongdoing.
- And the priest will be like the people;
I will give them punishment for their evil ways, and the reward of their acts.
- They will have food, but they will not be full;
they will be false to me, but they will not be increased, because they no longer give thought to the Lord.
- Loose ways and new wine take away wisdom.
- My people get knowledge from their tree, and their rod gives them news;
for a false spirit is the cause of their wandering, and they have been false to their God.
- They make offerings on the tops of mountains, burning perfumes in high places, under trees of every sort, because their shade is good: and so your daughters are given up to loose ways and your brides are false to their husbands.
- I will not give punishment to your daughters or your brides for their evil behaviour;
for they make themselves separate with loose women, and make offerings with those who are used for sex purposes in the worship of the gods: the people who have no wisdom will be sent away.
- Do not you, O Israel, come into error;
do not you, O Judah, come to Gilgal, or go up to Beth-aven, or take an oath, By the living Lord.
- For Israel is uncontrolled, like a cow which may not be controlled;
now will the Lord give them food like a lamb in a wide place.
- Ephraim is joined to false gods;
let him be.
- Their drink has become bitter;
they are completely false;
her rulers take pleasure in shame.
- They are folded in the skirts of the wind;
they will be shamed because of their offerings.