- Come, let us go back to the Lord;
for he has given us wounds and he will make us well;
he has given blows and he will give help.
- After two days he will give us life, and on the third day he will make us get up, and we will be living before him.
- And let us have knowledge, let us go after the knowledge of the Lord;
his going out is certain as the dawn, his decisions go out like the light;
he will come to us like the rain, like the spring rain watering the earth.
- O Ephraim, what am I to do to you?
O Judah, what am I to do to you?
For your love is like a morning cloud, and like the dew which goes early away.
- So I have had it cut in stones;
I gave them teaching by the words of my mouth;
- Because my desire is for mercy and not offerings;
for the knowledge of God more than for burned offerings.
- But like a man, they have gone against the agreement;
there they were false to me.
- Gilead is a town of evil-doers, marked with blood.
- And like a band of thieves waiting for a man, so are the priests watching secretly the way of those going quickly to Shechem, for they are working with an evil design.
- In Israel I have seen a very evil thing;
there false ways are seen in Ephraim, Israel is unclean;
- And Judah has put up disgusting images for himself.