- When my desire was for the fate of my people to be changed and to make Israel well, then the sin of Ephraim was made clear, and the evil-doing of Samaria;
for their ways are false, and the thief comes into the house, while the band of outlaws takes property by force in the streets.
- And they do not say to themselves that I keep in mind all their sin;
now their evil acts come round them on every side;
they are before my face.
- In their sin they make a king for themselves, and rulers in their deceit.
- They are all untrue;
they are like a burning oven;
the bread-maker does not make up the fire from the time when the paste is mixed till it is leavened.
- On the day of our king, the rulers made him ill with the heat of wine;
his hand was stretched out with the men of pride.
- For they have made their hearts ready like an oven, while they are waiting secretly;
their wrath is sleeping all night;
in the morning it is burning like a flaming fire.
- They are all heated like an oven, and they put an end to their judges;
all their kings have been made low;
not one among them makes prayer to me.
- Ephraim is mixed with the peoples;
Ephraim is a cake not turned.
- Men from other lands have made waste his strength, and he is not conscious of it;
grey hairs have come on him here and there, and he has no knowledge of it.
- And the pride of Israel gives an answer to his face;
but for all this, they have not gone back to the Lord their God, or made search for him.
- And Ephraim is like a foolish dove, without wisdom;
they send out their cry to Egypt, they go to Assyria.
- When they go, my net will be stretched out over them;
I will take them like the birds of heaven, I will give them punishment, I will take them away in the net for their sin.
- May trouble be theirs!
for they have gone far away from me;
and destruction, for they have been sinning against me;
I was ready to be their saviour, but they said false words against me.
- And they have not made prayer to me in their hearts, but they make loud cries on their beds;
they are cutting themselves for food and wine, they are turned against me.
- Though I have given training and strength to their arms, they have evil designs against me.
- They have gone to what is of no value;
they are like a false bow;
their captains will come to destruction by the sword, and their ruler by my wrath;
for this, the land of Egypt will make sport of them.